• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND's Ben Blood

Hockey Guy

Alright… I’m ready for you all to gang up and bash me for what I’m about to say… I think that 90 percent of the checking from behind penalties that I have witnessed over the last 10 years shouldn’t have been penalties at all. I think that the players that received the checks should have been assessed unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for turning their backs in a situation that they knew they were going to be getting hit in order to draw a penalty. IMO it’s a no different than diving. Look, hockey is a physical sport. I think that the reason players are getting hurt is because of all the rules that have been put into place that are supposed to protect them. Unintended consequences my friends.

I’m 43 years old. I grew up playing hockey and I still play a couple of time each week. We were taught at a the Mite level how to take a hit and we literally practiced it at every level. We were taught to develop a “Radar” and to expect a hit at anytime from anywhere. There was no penalty for checking from behind because it was obvious back then that if you were just barely ahead of a guy when you were going into the boards after a loose puck that there was a better than average chance you were going to get hit. There were penalties for Roughing, Boarding, and cross-checking for those ‘Intent to injure’ situations where people were assessed a major penalty or thrown out of the game. I’m just saying that not having checking in the game from the time kids are five years old is doing young players more harm than good. I’m a father and I really feel terrible for the kids and their families that were so severely injured last week, and I don’t want to see my kids get hurt either. But statistically, there is no doubt that the more rules that are implemented; the more injuries occur a few years down the road. I know, I know, the players are bigger and stronger now, but there wouldn’t be near as many concussions if these guys were EXPECTING to get hit rather than the other way around.

I say reinstitute checking all the way down to Mites, teach the players how to take a hit and to expect it, teach them to keep their heads up and develop that “Radar”, and either get rid of the checking from behind penalty or start calling players for diving when they know they’re going to get hit and they turn their back. If there is still intent to injure, the player should be thrown out for boarding or roughing just like it used to be. Alright… Bring it on…

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a guy named hockey guy you don't seem to post here much.

However I do agree with most of what you said. I think saying 90% sould be no calls if wrong. But I do agree with most everything else. I think a lot of concussions and the increase of these chcks from behind are bcause these kids are coddelled. They are so over equipt and protected by the rules that they no longer protect themselves. I agree they never learned to take a hit.

I'm not sureif a mite would know how to check, but taking cecking out of the game would ruin it.

Side note, before u get incouraged that I agree with you, its usually a bad thing to have my support.

For a guy named hockey guy you don't seem to post here much.

However I do agree with most of what you said. I think saying 90% sould be no calls if wrong. But I do agree with most everything else. I think a lot of concussions and the increase of these chcks from behind are bcause these kids are coddelled. They are so over equipt and protected by the rules that they no longer protect themselves. I agree they never learned to take a hit.

I'm not sureif a mite would know how to check, but taking cecking out of the game would ruin it.

Side note, before u get incouraged that I agree with you, its usually a bad thing to have my support.

There are players on every team that are hacks or cheapshots. They always have to give the extra slash, punch , push or elbow after the whistle. UND just seams to have more then other teams and when things don't go their way it gets worse. I coached physical play but when the whistle blows or the game is over win or lose you act like a man or accept my punishment. After all it is just a game that most of us are or were able to be a part of. A side from the cheap stuff UND/MN is my favorite and I have been watching the gophers since the early 70's.

I have been watching the gophers since the early 70's.

Man I wish I would have been alive or old enough to watch some of those Brooks teams in the mid to late 70's, sounds like a fun time to be a gopher fan.

I just changed my opinion on ben blood. He is my new favorite player. He has given me 3 days of forumn reading and thus allowed me to avoid my actual job. Thanks.

Brooks, you hack. I need a destination for my feb ice fishing trip, where

O

do I go

I just changed my opinion on ben blood. He is my new favorite player. He has given me 3 days of forumn reading and thus allowed me to avoid my actual job. Thanks.

Brooks, you hack. I need a destination for my feb ice fishing trip, where

O

do I go

Rodent announcers just giggled about how that hard cross check in front of the net probably only required one hand on the stick. Classy?

Haven't your heard, you can't say anything remotely contrivercial these days without being called a classless hack. The only exception would be Ben Blood who was clearly born without any class. That would also explain why an equally classless Hakstol was able to recruit him to UND. If you find this post offensive, you too are probably lacking all kinds of class. laugh

I'm ok at taking the other side of the fence, lol, think a pro-scout or is this Blood guy drafted already etc. but fiesty, mean streak about him, toughness, etc. Size, they don't shake hands in the pro's except playoff time. JK really, he should've went after whoever he wanted to go after "during" the game, not after and he should respect the code if the other guy isn't game, that guy could tell him who is.

I'm ok at taking the other side of the fence, lol, think a pro-scout or is this Blood guy drafted already etc. but fiesty, mean streak about him, toughness, etc. Size, they don't shake hands in the pro's except playoff time. JK really, he should've went after whoever he wanted to go after "during" the game, not after and he should respect the code if the other guy isn't game, that guy could tell him who is.

Seth Ambroz would have been game. He grab Blood after he took a whack at Rau. Ambroz was a pretty good frighter from what I read in the USHL. It would have been fun to watch. I can't recall Blood ever dropping his gloves. I don't think he ever played in the USHL but I could be wrong.

]It may be more effective to send me somewhere more remote. Getting me away from internet servie would be the best thing.

I've got a friend working in Kzakistan. Maybe he can help you find the middle of now where. I hear it is quite bleak, except the vodka flows from the faucets.