• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Gogebic ice

I just thought about asking about the ice as we have the worst ice that I have seen in 30 years here in MN. I am going to need to get a good fix of ice fishing soon and Gogebic might be the place yo go. Has anyone been out???

Hey Ken,

I yet to get out on LG, but I know a few that have. The ice is fine, the snow didn't help it but we still got around 10" or so. I talked to Gus a week or so ago and he said somebody already brought in a 2lb'er. That seems pretty early, lets hope it is a start to a good season. Let me know if you come up, I will head out and meet you.

I heard there is some slush right now, but don't fret it will be fine. 2 weeks from now will start the "magical month" on LG. I haven't even been out yet searching for teeters. I heard 4 wheeler traffic is not good as the combo of snow and slush is pretty thick right now.

I am sure glad I have tracks on my gator, it will make for easy travel. Ken when are you coming up? Let me know as I will hit the ice with you. Been pretty tough with the kiddio and all.

Later

Word on the street is the perch fishing is pretty darn good right now both with quality and quantity. The issue is getting out there. I have heard there is 10-12" of slush and ton of wheelers are getting stuck. I guess sleds are also pretty useless at this point, once you stop you just dig down to ice. The West shore is better conditions but not many fish. Forecast is snow all week and a big dumping on Sunday so it will even make the conditions worse. Ice is about 20" at this point, so that really isn't an issue.

So if you have a tracked vehicle you are golden. I am sure glad I picked this up this winter should make for an exciting last month.

full-13775-17965-img_0008.jpg

Greg, It looks like we won't get there until march 8. We will fish thursday to sunday. We are staying at Gus's. We have no snow here and very poor ice. I starting to get pumped about coming out there, we always have a good time. I will call when time gets closer. I should call Team Otter to see if he would go along. See you in a couple of weeks

Yes the whole troop is coming, as for the winning team that was last year, we will have to work hard to even try to get that close again or just try falling down dumb luck. What ever happens we will have fun. That is a very nice ride you got there Greg, saved a few pennys did you???

Yes we have to get a bit to eat somewhere, we can talk about that then.

Gonna be up there this weekend with a Yamaha Viking Snowmobile (extra-wide, extra-long track). Any idea if I'll be OK staying on top of the slush?

Also, never fished Gogebic, any advice for lures, bait, areas to target, etc would be greater appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stop in at Maple Ridge Motel, say hi to gus, buy wigglers, hit the lake, be quiet, stay away from others. Plain hooks and simple jigs. This was the M.O. when I last was out there 3-4 years ago. Stay with Gus and he might even point you to the right spots and depths.

I think you will be ok with your sled as we are scheduled to get an additional 18" by tomorrow morning. It is really going to get ugly out there when it starts to warm up, you are going to need hip waders:) Just as da-chise stated stop in to see Gus he will point you in the right direction. Good luck and report back.

Take your sunfish rods,small hooks light line, soft rods with spring bobbers. Very soft biters, then set the hook, crank the reel about 4 times and hold on, you will have a fight that will make you giggle like a school girl. One day I will get a 3# that perchking talks about.

Hi P.K.

I hope you are doing well.

Good luck to you all for the H.O.T.

We are trying to get up there March 16th thru the 18th.

I hope the ice holds up and these big snows don't hose things up.

Feed those pigs and fatten them up a little more for us. grin

Hey hugonian1, how u been? Yeah I am sure they are eating plenty right now, even though I haven't been out much due to 3 kiddios but I keep pretty close contact to those who are out scouting. Reports seem pretty positive lately.

We've had a pretty good perch season on Mille Lacs this year.

I hope things work out for us to come up there in a couple of weeks.

A question on snowmobile requirements for those in the know.

Looking at the Michigan regs it looks like you do not need a trail sticker if used strickly on the ice. Also, it appears if the sleds are registered in Minnesota they do not need a Michigan registration for non residents.

Does this sound correct?

A little update for you guys. Got out there this weekend, fished friday and saturday. Went in and talked to Gus at Maple Ridge, very helpful. We fished the North end of the lake, where a majority of the houses were. Friday got into a few perch, including a few nice fat ones. Also caught several small (maybe 6") walleye. Then Saturday, got out on the North end again, but a little further East and did about the same a few nice perch and also a fat 20" walleye. Didn't mark a lot of fish, and they showed up randomly, but if you saw em on the vex, they would definitely hit your bait. They were aggressive when they did show up. No problems with slush on Friday, but on Saturday my buddy, who has an RMK, had some issues getting off the lake, if he got going too fast the sled would start digging into the slush, he made it off the lake after about a 15 minute battle. My sled with the wide and long track floated just fine though.

We will be on the lake by 9:00 Thursday. Already can't sleep at night, been through everything twice and trying to think what I forgot. Loaded everything tonight, just got to get though work tomorrow. I think I will start feeling ill about 11 o'clock better go home so other don't catch it. Dam those fish. sick

Ken arnt you your own boss??? Get up there and find me a spot. I will see you early Friday, coffee at Gus's?

ps there are areas where even tracked atv's are getting stuck, bring a shovel. Starting Friday I will really be giving the gator a workout.

We had planned on going up this weekend.

The way the weather has been we it looked like a no- go.

Now looking at Gus's site he is saying he thinks there is about 10 days of fishable ice left.

Going to make the call tomorrow.

Anybody else planning on being out there this weekend?

It sounds like the slush and water has settled down and ATV's are good to go.

I have a call in to Nettie to see what they think.

We are going to decide in the morning also.

Are you stayiing at Maple Ridge if you go?