• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bummed over winter

MNUser

I'm really bummin over our winter so far. Just read the Paul Douglas blog and he has zero storms for as far out as they can see. This takes us into the middle of January. I have a sinking feeling this will be the winter of zero riding. Looks like I will have to trailer but that does not look to promising either. I would have never guessed this would happen. What a drag!

I have really been thinking about trying to setup some ride over in Upper Mich or Wis when they get a little more Lake effects snow but can you imagine trying to find a motel or hotel over there if the whole state of Minnesota shows up! frown I have posted this ruler before which is in the UP and even if they only got a 10th of that it would still be a good ride! smilefull-27051-15687-picture159.jpg

I have really been thinking about trying to setup some ride over in Upper Mich or Wis when they get a little more Lake effects snow but can you imagine trying to find a motel or hotel over there if the whole state of Minnesota shows up! frown I have posted this ruler before which is in the UP and even if they only got a 10th of that it would still be a good ride! smilefull-27051-15687-picture159.jpg

I don't know that area at all but it looks like a good place to be!

Published January 13, 2012, 06:37 AM

29 inches of new snow - and it's still falling - in one Northland town

While much of the Northland continues to experience a snow drought, the Wisconsin community of Gile - just outside Hurley - is closing in on 3 feet of new snow this morning.

By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune

While much of the Northland continues to experience a snow drought, the Wisconsin community of Gile - just outside Hurley - is closing in on 3 feet of new snow this morning.

The heavy snow - Gile sits on the Gogebic Range in a favored area for lake-effect snow - started late Wednesday and continues this morning. As of 2 a.m. today, spotters there reported a storm total of 29 inches, according to the National Weather Service in Duluth. That included 6 inches of snow in the previous five hours.

There are other impressive snow totals on the South Shore, too - 16 inches at Montreal as of 6 a.m. today, and 12 inches in Bessemer, Mich., and 10 inches in Hurley as of Thursday night.

A winter storm warning remains in effect for Ashland and Iron counties until 10 a.m. today. A winter storm warning remains in effect for Gogebic County, Mich., until noon. A lake-effect snow advisory remains in effect for Bayfield County until 10 a.m.

Highways across the area, including U.S. Highway 2, are reported to be snow-covered.

Thought about going up on Saturday but I think taking a day off mid week might be a better option. Let the trails get beat up this weekend and then go the day after they groom. Maybe Wednesday would be a good day. Could be an easy day trip.