• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Big Red 200 vs 250

grizrunner

I'm looking to buy a 3 wheeler for light weight alternative(addition)to my 4x4.

I've got my eye on an '84 200 elec/reverse/shaft dr., and also an '85 250 w/ same features. The 200 is near mint, and the 250 is decent. Neither need any work and both are complete. Tires on each are like new. Both are same price. $1100. I know the owner of the 200, don't on the 250.

The machine would primarily be used or early/late ice fishing. No towing perms, just sleds/portables.

Are there any differences other than a little weight and displacement? Advice on pros/cons/which to buy is much appreciated.

They are virtually the same machine aside from displacement. If it were me, I'd probably go with the 200 since you know the owner and its the cleaner of the 2. The difference in power wont be an issue based on what your intended use is.

I had a Honda 200 that was chain drive and no rear suspension and bought a Big Red when it 1st came with shaft drive and rear suspension. If I recall the Big Red was an '85. So, I tend to agree, the 200's were chain drive.

Mac is right 200 ES is shaft, M's were chain. I'm guessing E(electric start)and S(shaft). The M may have indicated Manual start(recoil).

Sonic you missed the specs for the ES just scroll up on that spec page you linked. That's ok though...only missed by 1%smile

I'm no expert here, just did a little research. I found '84 the first year of the Big Reds. The ES model introduced shaft drive w/reverse, suspension, and solid state CD ignition and electric start. Prior to that there was the 200 ATC, and no 250cc offered. I had an '83 ATC 200(no ES or M designation), but that was a different animal. No suspension, different ignition system, chain drive, and 75# lighter(@300#) than the 84 200 ES(375), and 35# lighter than the M(325). I also found the 250 ES weighs in at 425.

I was just wondering if there was any drawbacks or little "quirks" between the 200 and 250, like possible maintenence issues.

Thanks again guys.

I have a 83 ATC Big Red 200es at least that is the sticker package it came with. It is chain drive and no reverse I belive they went to shaft and reverse in 84 well late 83 anyways.

I would go with the 200 as mentioned in the earlier post. I also belive that the 200 was a better /durable engine but thats me

Dave, do your homework!

The 1984 200M is chain drive, the 200ES is shaft drive. There was also the 200S model that was chain drive with smaller tires (22") and no reverse.

Yeah, the Honda 200S was a 185S on steroids. Had one and loved it.

Also owned a Honda 90 and Yamaha 125 two stroke three wheelers.

I miss them and their manuverability in tight places, but the 4x4's are really more comfortable grin.

Ended up passing on both. Wife talked me out of it afraid for the safety of the kids(to heck with me though...I've got some good life

insurance!).

Talked to my insurance agent and he couldn't cover me, and no one will.

Picking up a smaller/lighter 4x4 tomorrow. Kids will grow into it eventually. Until then it's my no/low snow ice rig.

Thanks for all your input anyway.

I think for the price they were asking you are better off getting a smaller 4 wheeler like you stated. If you were talking 500-700 that might be diffferent. Nostalgia costs a lot these days!