• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Climber Tree Stand Opinions - continued

Scott M

'08 Climber Thread

Just wondering if anyone had anything to add? Next big purchase is likely a climber, wondering what the differences are if you go cheap...I imagine it's comfort, durability/quality, noisiness, etc. I'm 6'4" so I probably need a bigger and more expensive stand anyways, but I was just wondering what the differences were from stand to stand or if anyone cared to share opinions.

I've sat in a lone wolf and summit viper. Cant beat lone wolf for packing in, but for comfort and warmth I'd take the summit. Summit is worth a little more bulk for comfort. It's my go to stand and has been the single most reason for my hunting success as far as equipment.

Agreed surewood. I think it's the best piece of equipment I've ever purchased.I do however have 2 gripes. A deeper platform would be nice( I'm tall with a 32" draw and often hitting the tree on full draw)and those shoulder straps... I can't feel my hands by the time I get to my tree. I know they had some upgrades you could buy but haven't been able to find any.Has anyone put different straps on theirs?

I have owned many different brands of climbers and the 2 I would go with are the Summit line and the Lone Wolf.

I love my Lone Wolf climbers. They backpack so nice and climb the trees very well and quiet.

Another huge key for me is that I can sit and then stand for a shot with never hearing a squeek. I have the wide model as I am the wide body model and it sits very comfortable.

It fits most trees and fits snug to the trunk.

If this stand is not the best, I doubt that there is one better.

They are a bit spendy but you get what you pay for.

I own a Viper and LOVE it for rifle hunting, but not so much for bow hunting since you have to basically stand up all day because of the cross bar. The Summit Razor looks like the best one to buy since it has a pivoting cross bar that leaves you with an open front for better shots while sitting.

I bought a Summit Viper SD this year and love it. It is easy to use and by far the most comfortable stand I have ever sat in. I haven't carried it farther than a mile and don't have any problems with the shoulder straps. I like how it goes together for packing in and its plenty quiet.

I don't use the straps to carry my summit. Kinda a pain that way. I found a much easier way. You do have to stand to shoot out of the summit but that's what I prefer. You do have to make sure the platforms are the correct distance apart so your bottom cam clears the bar.

I don't use the straps to carry my summit. Kinda a pain that way. I found a much easier way.

Please explain...

I haven't tried the Lone Wolf, but I can't imagine an improvement over my Summit Openshot. I purchased the Viper SD this year and it was....... fine. The OpenShot is much lighter, easier to attach to the tree and more comfortable than "sitting down in" the Viper. BUT I would prefer the bar/Viper for gun hunting.

Best info I can contribute is not everyone can use a "hand climber", but if you can I would be surprised if it wasn't your favorite choice.

If I have a heavy backpack attached and a long hike, I like to use the cinch strap around the bottom of the stand as a belt to take the weight off of my shoulders...AHHH what a relief!

This was my first year with a climber and I went with the Treewalker. I absolutely love it. I don't know why I didn't look at this option before. I guess it was a money thing but after using it for the season it was and will be well worth it. My Treewalker stand is 18lbs and has a good sized platform.