• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help please, has anyone encountered this

Boar

My female half GSP an half Choc lab has been in heat 3 time an each time this has happened.Every one I have showen it to has never seeen it before. Its like her uterus is being pushed out from swelling.

Shees not in any pain or discomfert, but it's so unusual. I just came from the vet to get a visual on what it might be, of course no Doc. on duty, the tech hasnt seen it before but felt better that it happens each time she's been in heat which has been 3 time since i got at 8 months.

Concerns are can she recieve a male in such a state, which dosent look like she can. An how will birthing go if she gets pregnant. Do I have to get her fixed? I didnt bring her to the vet the first time cause she was'nt in any pain or discomfert but now looking into breeding an this just isnt normal. Any Ideas? I have a vet appointment on Monday to find out wats going on. Sorry for the not so pretty picture.full-2178-15003-1216111513.jpg

full-2178-15004-1216111513a.jpg

Possible:

Vaginal Prolapse

(uncommon)

may be hereditary. brachycephalics are predisposed. may precede uterine prolapse. occurs during periods of increased estrogen. rare during pregnancy

Diagnosis

donut shaped eversion of vagina, may see urethral papilla

Treatment options

- if mild, will spontaneously regress during diestrus - keep moist

- replace. may suture uterus or broad ligament to abdominal wall, or suture labia

- resect devitalized tissue (first do episiotomy and place urinary catheter)

- OHE is curative - will cause regression if not a chronic prolapse.

Vaginal hyperplasia.

* Vaginal hyperplasia (currently called vaginal edema...Root likes to call it vaginal prolapse!) usually occurs in younger, large breed dogs at estrus. It results from excess reaction to normal estrogen concentrations. It is actually edema of the tissue.

* You see a large red mass protruding from vulva. If the condition is chronic, the mass may be dried out. To make a definitive diagnosis examination of the mass will reveal a broad base, floor involved with the urethral orifice under the mass.

* Spontaneous regression will usually occur with conservative therapy. Ovariohysterectomy will prevent the occurrence in the future.

* Amputation is sometimes needed, and the condition will recur to some extent.

* You will probably have to perform artificial insemination if the FemaleDog is to be bred.

* If it is not a breeding FemaleDog you can administer OvaBan at a dose of 2.2 mg/kg for 7 days. Be sure to keep the mass moist while doing conservative therapy.

I have no idae what it is but being she's a mixed breed ( I'm sure she is a great dog) why have you not had her fixed befor this? Obviosly a planned breeding is out of the question and why risk the chance of an accident, with a litter of puppy's that could be tough to get rid of and more importantly why take the chance of putting your female at risk with an obviouse problem with her repoductive organs.

Plain and simple get her fixed... after this heat cycle..

Yeah I'm going to have to agree. I'd get her fixed,, it just makes sense.

Breeding her could be risky so you don't want to put her through that. Also if this is something that she can pass on to any offspring you wouldn't want to breed her anyways. And then there is the fact that finding families for mix breed puppies with a potential inherited medical condition isn't going to be easy. You'll put in a lot of time and money having and raising these puppies and getting them the proper vet care for the first 8 weeks. And after all that I think you'll have a hard time finding homes for them.

Good luck with everything.

As for the dog being a mix breed, there is a breeder in SD who crosses GSP with labs. Last figure I heard was the pups go for as much as $2K.

I will also cast a vote for getting her fixed to avoid any further complications.

As for the dog being a mix breed, there is a breeder in SD who crosses GSP with labs. Last figure I heard was the pups go for as much as $2K.

I will also cast a vote for getting her fixed to avoid any further complications.

It is one thing to breed a lab and gsp. It is another to breed a gsp/lab with someother dog or dog mix. Already enough muts out there

Doodles of every color make and model sell for 1 to 2K as well, theres a sucker born every minute. I have no idea who the guy is in SD but I would certainly not call him a breeder. Breeders are concerned with there breed of choice and go to great strives to improve the BREEd. Nothing against cross breeds, but if you look in the sunday paper there are alot of them waiting for adoption at the local shelter. Fortunalty this one got a good caring home, not likely for the rest of the litter. Our next "pet" only dog will come from the shelter.

From what I was told by someone who acquired one of these dogs, there is an attempt to get this "breed" recognized by the AKC in the coming years. This is only second hand information so I have no way of confirming this or how many generations of this GSP/Lab cross has been successfully bred.