• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cheap Lesson

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if any of you knew of any place around the twin cities area that has a cheap beginner rod building class or lesson? I want to start buildingcutom rods but I want to do it the right way, I just don't have $400 To spend on a a class and travel....

Midwest rod and reel use to offere classes through community ed. However now with al retiring I am not sure if they classes are still offered.

I would email bill at Midwest rod and reel in prior lake and see if they are still offered or if he would be willing to give you a private lesson.

Youtube has taught me as well as this forum. I would be willing to show you some basics if you want sometime.

Thorne Bros. Use to offer classes. That is where I learned and I thought they were great. They help you through building your own custom rod. More of a one on one experience than a classroom setting. You pay for your materials and a shop fee. I felt it was very reasonable and I learned a lot.

Hey everyone,

Was just wondering if any of you knew of any place around the twin cities area that has a cheap beginner rod building class or lesson? I want to start buildingcutom rods but I want to do it the right way, I just don't have $400 To spend on a a class and travel....

Monticello Community Education has one this Saturday(dec 10th). it is taught be Gary Wick. the class is $20.00 plus the cost of the rod kit you choose to build ($80-$150 depending on the rod. 6' 6" med spinning rod is $80, 7'6" musky rod is $105.00 & 8'6" musky rod is $150.00, he also offers a ice rod option for $35.00). I believe they offer this only once a year. I have heard he does other classes through other community ed offices ( it think some one said he does a class in coon rapids). I can ask him this saturday where else he does classes and when they are.

Monticello Community Education has one this Saturday(dec 10th). it is taught be Gary Wick. the class is $20.00 plus the cost of the rod kit you choose to build ($80-$150 depending on the rod. 6' 6" med spinning rod is $80, 7'6" musky rod is $105.00 & 8'6" musky rod is $150.00, he also offers a ice rod option for $35.00). I believe they offer this only once a year. I have heard he does other classes through other community ed offices ( it think some one said he does a class in coon rapids). I can ask him this saturday where else he does classes and when they are.

Brad do you know how to sign up for this? I would love to start learning how to build musky and ice rods...

Call the community ed @ (763-272-2030)

See if the Build your own fishing rod class #1718 is full or if you can register quickly

BUILD YOUR OWN FISHING ROD Class 1718

Build a fishing rod from the ground up. Choose from a six-foot sixinch

med. light spin-on bait casting rod ($80) or two sizes of muskie

rods (7’6” for $105 or 8’6” for $150), ice rod, $35. A completed fishing

rod, depending on the craftsmanship, can be valued in excess

of $300. Supply fee of $80-$150, depending on rod chosen, to be

paid to the instructor at class.

Saturday, Dec. 10, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m., 1 session

Monticello Middle School Art Room 110

Cost: $20 plus the supply fee (see above)

Instructor: Gary Wicks

I am sure its just wrapping solid colors. maybe showing how to do a trim band. Either way I have done one rod in one day once. But it was just basic with hardly any design into it.

Did an ice rod built out of parts around home in about 10 minutes. exception the handle that took me a while as I made it out of a piece of drift wood.

Everything varies, Length of a rod, type of rod, type of guides, how many guides, are you doing an under wrap to the guides, are you doing a weave or a special wrap, are you using trim bands, changing multiple colors for wraps, type of epoxy you are using. The list goes on and on.

The work that Rushing does is amazing, its very detailed as well as tedious work. His rods will take way more time then say a rod that is just getting a one color wrap or one color with a trim band.

Too put into perspective here is a simple wrap that I did for guides.

250538_753210619712_199101806_37819617_1

I completed this rod in just a few hours work time. However, the drying time takes longer.

Now here is a picture of a rod that Rushing has done. Much more thread work. Time consuming, some multiple steps. So his takes longer. Also his attention to detail is greater then mine.

3r.jpg

I like to keep my rods I build for myself pretty simple. If I am making something custom for someone else I will get into more detail.

Over time you get faster as certain things you do as well. I can hand wrap pretty quickly now with out an over lap. Some of the guys who have power wrappers like AW. I have seen him wrap half a guide in a matter of what seems a few seconds.

Seems like a lot of detail.. I'll just have to jump into a few and find out for myself. I know the learning process is going to take a while but that's alright. The wait will be worth it once I catch my first musky or panny on my own custom rods.

Thanks for the help fellas, I look forward to showing you my work and looking at yours...Just signed up for the class in Monticello on the 10th!

I don't expect to get much out of it but I figured why not try it to see how it is. I totally expect it to be only a basic single color wrap but I already have ideas for other rods later(more complex, I plan to learn as I go). I hope he talks/explains about spiral wraps but I would be shocked if he covers it since most average people that fish wouldn't know what it is. I have heard from a few people that have taken his class and they said it wasn't to bad.

Brad and Jmeyers.

Do some research and youtubing before your class. You might pick up a thing or two. Then if you are taking the class and its just a basic rod single color wrap you can go a head and add a trim band if you want!!!!

rodbuildingtutorials.com/threadwork.htm

There are some easy things you can do for trim bands.

Good luck and enjoy

One thing to remember, building a rod does not have to be a scary thing. You can't do much to screw them up. Everything you do can be undone with a slight exception to screwing up the epoxy and nicking the blank with the razor blade, and even most times epoxy can be carefully removed and redone. But if you don't like how a thread wrap turned out, take it off and redo it. If you don't like the locations of your guides move them. There is no wrong way to build a rod, just a certain procedure to assembly.

I learned completely from trial and error and Youtube on one rod. None of my rods will win any style prizes, all are made to function well for my style of fishing.

Thanks for the link Pure...How long did it take you to get wehre your at today with the craftsmanship you put into your rods?

I by no means have craftsmanship with my rods compared to others.. I come up with some ideas and I do them, but I am far from even close to some of the skill level of these other builders in here. It is a hobby for me, I make them for myself and for friends or for gifts.

I don't build enough rods to justify your question. I guess you can compare it to everything else. Practice makes perfect. Just gotta keep doing them. The more you do the more it becomes natural and the better you get at it.

Ive built less then a dozen rods. So I got a long ways to go before I will say my craftsmanship is good. Most the people in this forum have been building a lot longer then I have, and they have shared with me most of the knowledge I know.

A buddy of mine took his class (nothing against Gary) but handles are already reamed and fitted (saves time plus he doesn't have to worry about oblong or scewed holes) and he does the epoxy on the threads at his shop (you are welcomed to go watch). So depending on the class size your basically going to do guide placement and guide wrap and also write your name. There is just no way to do a rod basic or otherwise in 6 hrs if you include drying times for epoxy. It is basically meant as an intro to see if its a hobby someone wants to do.

Brad and Jmeyers.

Do some research and youtubing before your class. You might pick up a thing or two. Then if you are taking the class and its just a basic rod single color wrap you can go a head and add a trim band if you want!!!!

rodbuildingtutorials.com/threadwork.htm

There are some easy things you can do for trim bands.

Good luck and enjoy

trust me I have been all over youtube and mudhole looking. I have the basics but what I need is to actually try it. I have plans for stuff I want to build but want to try first to see if this is something I want to spend money on. if I like it I plan to invest in the equipment and then run with it. my long term goal would be to get to a level like Rushing but I know this will take time. one of my biggest reasons I want to do this is so I can have baitcasting rods with the spiral wraps. I won a spiral wrapped rod that Andy built (A.W. Wolfram) and I love that rod. now I want a spiral wrapped bass baitcaster(thinking St Croix kit or Blank). would also like to do a split grip or two.

How did the class go guys???

You'll get the hang of it no problem. It just takes time and patience and when you are a beginner, redoing a few wraps here and there!

Spiral wraps are neat! I built a couple and love them! Pretty easy to do! But that is the best part about custom building the rods. You can move eyes to where you feel they work best for you!

The class was very helpful I thought! I for sure plan on stbuilding many more, it will definetly be my new hobby! Just wish I had started sooner so I could hand some out as Xmas gifts...

Brad did a nice spiral wrap which was nice to watch so if I ever want to do one of thoes I know how. Gary was an awesome guy..Lot's of good stories and laughs! For $55 bucks I think it was totally worth it! He teaches you everything you need to know to get started and then some. He also has all the equipment you'll need when starting out...needless to say he will be getting my business going forward.

I wanted to ask though... where do you guys tend to buy most of your supplies? any good dealers you like? do you shop mostly online or at local stores like Thorne?

It was nice to meet ya Brad good luck on your future rods!