• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tracks or sled ???

Chode2235

I have a 700 Polaris Sportsman, but with all the snow the last couple years (and because I am fishing more remote places like LOW) I have been contemplating getting either some tracks or a decent 2 up sled.

I am leaning towards the tracks because I don't really want another vehicle to do maintenance on, and my atv already has my monster box on it and works great.

The sled seems appealing as you can get a heck of a sled for what a set of tracks cost, plus its faster, and much better on fuel.

thoughts?

The sled seems appealing as you can get a heck of a sled for what a set of tracks cost, plus its faster, and much better on fuel.

thoughts?

I think that you have answered your own question! They also are lighter and easier to pull out of the slush or the bottom of the lake! And you can take them out on the trails for a ride when you want. wink

I agree with Leech, you answered your own question, besides being a faster ride across the snow they're a smoother ride and best of all, a WARMER ride!

On L.O.W's we usually pull our permanent house out with the wheeler in Dec when there is not enough ice for a full sized pickup, that's the only time it gets used, from there on out it's snowmobiles if we can't drive to the house with the pickup. Come spring time if you can get out with a wheeler, usually it's not a problem with a truck either.

Mike

"And you can take them out on the trails for a ride when you want. wink "

I would check on this with the DNR. My brother has a set of tracks for his wheeler and he was told that he could NOT run it on the trails.

Dude, I am in the sled camp. I know you Can Not take tracks on a trail! I would love to have a Track rig but it would have to be something like a Snowbear that you could fish in. But, for the expense of them my wife already said, "well maybe your New wife will buy you one" laugh

Yeah, I dont have any pictures of my monster box, but it is great. I love it.

Especially with the rod case and auger holder attached to the side.

It sounds like a sled is the way to go, what makes/models of sleds are ideal for ice fishing? Are there any snowmobiles where there would be room to mount my monster box on the back (and have clearance for my auger holder)?

You don't realize how slow the going is on tracked ATVs until you have to sit on one at 20 mph for 15 miles. shockedshockedshocked

Chode, give us a pic of your monster box. On a sled, it's better to have a custom auger rack built for the front to get more weight off the back and onto the skis. The more you stack on the back, the lighter the pressure on the skis and the harder the sled is to control.

So the front rack counterbalances your rear load. There are sleds out there that are geared low, have longer and wider tracks and tremendously beefy suspensions. They can carry a big ole bunch of weight on the back. But any modern snowmobile with a good suspension can handle the weight in the back, especially if counterbalanced by the auger/rack in the front.

And my 92 Polaris Indy Trail DLX 2-up (2 passenger) sled has a standard track and a bit heavier suspension (because it has to handle 2 people and gear), and I put all my gear on/in a wooden box on the back. I'm planning to get the front auger rack done, but they are not commercially available and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If I don't throw on the kitchen sink, even my older sled has enough suspension to get the job done and keep enough pressure on the skis to control the sled.

And now you're into a different topic. The major snowmobile manufacturers all have models available that are better fishing machines than they are speed demons, and I'm not the guy who's up on the latest models, since I'm pretty much always buying used.

In general 2-up sleds have stronger suspensions because they have to, and that's why I like them for snow machines. Not to mention it's always nice to be able to handle a passenger in comfort.

The issue of which sled is the perfect fishing sled has been hashed out on the Snowmobile forum many times. I'd go there and use the search feature and just poke around. You can always then start a new thread there stating your budget and asking for recommendations. You'll get lots and lots of perspectives. smile

Excellent post Steve.

Not to mention the amount of snow that is thrown by the tracks on an ATV. If it were the boating world you could say that when it comes to tracks, the snowmobile might be the "drier" ride. Especially at speeds of 20+ mph.

You don't realize how slow the going is on tracked ATVs until you have to sit on one at 20 mph for 15 miles. shockedshockedshocked

Chode, give us a pic of your monster box. On a sled, it's better to have a custom auger rack built for the front to get more weight off the back and onto the skis. The more you stack on the back, the lighter the pressure on the skis and the harder the sled is to control.

So the front rack counterbalances your rear load. There are sleds out there that are geared low, have longer and wider tracks and tremendously beefy suspensions. They can carry a big ole bunch of weight on the back. But any modern snowmobile with a good suspension can handle the weight in the back, especially if counterbalanced by the auger/rack in the front.

And my 92 Polaris Indy Trail DLX 2-up (2 passenger) sled has a standard track and a bit heavier suspension (because it has to handle 2 people and gear), and I put all my gear on/in a wooden box on the back. I'm planning to get the front auger rack done, but they are not commercially available and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If I don't throw on the kitchen sink, even my older sled has enough suspension to get the job done and keep enough pressure on the skis to control the sled.

And now you're into a different topic. The major snowmobile manufacturers all have models available that are better fishing machines than they are speed demons, and I'm not the guy who's up on the latest models, since I'm pretty much always buying used.

In general 2-up sleds have stronger suspensions because they have to, and that's why I like them for snow machines. Not to mention it's always nice to be able to handle a passenger in comfort.

The issue of which sled is the perfect fishing sled has been hashed out on the Snowmobile forum many times. I'd go there and use the search feature and just poke around. You can always then start a new thread there stating your budget and asking for recommendations. You'll get lots and lots of perspectives. smile

Thanks Steve! I too would be looking for a used sled, preferably under 3k.

Here is a pic of the monster box. To attach the monster box you essentially have some u-bolts and you drill a couple holes in the bottom to loop the box around the rack.

One would think that you could attach it to pretty much any snowmobile rack, my biggest concern is having the height for the auger mount accessory.

I dont put a ton of weight in it, but I like to keep things like my flasher and tackle in there to keep it dry and not bouncing around in my portable.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzIuanBn.jpg

otterrig29vc.jpg