• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are your broad heads legal??

tracker x-2

Just doing some reserch and found out what exactly a "barbed broadhead means"

According to my findings there has to be at least a 90 degree angle between the end of the broadhead blade and arrow shaft which would make this T3 illegal cuz the blade is less then 90 degrees to the arrow. I have herd and read of many folks on here using them with great success same with rage 3 blade and the G5 tekken these fall under the illegal.

full-26178-13935-t3.jpg

here is a diagram i found of ok head examples Just some food for thought!full-26178-13936-broadhd.gif

I am looking at the MN DNR Hunting and Trapping Regs, and under "legal bows and arrows" there is absolutely nothing mentioned about broadhead legality regarding angle of the blade... just that they must be "barbless"

where did you find this other information? care to expound on it, and link to where you found it?

I think its refering to the definition of a barbed broadhead. I got it off another forum and not sure wheather i should post that link here dont want to get kicked off. just wanted to see what anyone else's ideas/experiences/thoughts are not saying im 100% right its just what i found.

I've never heard of MN regs saying anything about the angle of the blade vs the shaft.

Quote:
Arrowheads used for taking big game must be sharp, have a minimum

of two metal cutting edges, be of barbless broadhead design, and have

a diameter of at least ⅞ inch.

• “Expandable” broadheads may be used to take big game if they meet

the requirements above and: 1) are at least ⅞ inch in width and no

more than 2 inches in width at or after impact; and 2) are of a barbless

design and function in a barbless manner.

Check the source on whoever gave you the info about the blade angle.

heres where i read this I'm not saying this correct ,but found its eye opening. If you google legal bheads theres a bunch of other sites that have to do with how the blades are locked back.

Exactly slimgriz, Im sure there are a lotta people who read this that perhaps are using them, hopefully everyone reads this so they can switch. Im not asking for anyone to confess just looking for input on thie topic.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

The point of the article is that some mechanical broadhead blades lock into place when expanded. Meaning when you try to pull the arrow back out, the blades are stuck in place and do not fold back into the unexpanded position. So now the broadhead blades are effectively barbs to prevent the arrow from going back out the hole.

By MN law, the barbed design is illegal.

It wasn't clear to me your original post what you were getting at, but it makes sense now that I looked at it again.

The point of the article is that some mechanical broadhead blades lock into place when expanded. Meaning when you try to pull the arrow back out, the blades are stuck in place and do not fold back into the unexpanded position. So now the broadhead blades are effectively barbs to prevent the arrow from going back out the hole.

By MN law, the barbed design is illegal.

It wasn't clear to me your original post what you were getting at, but it makes sense now that I looked at it again.

But according the that, wouldn't a fixed broadhead by considered "barbed" as the blades don't fold back if you were going to try and pull the arrow backwards out of the deer? Or was this specifically aimed at expandables?

I guess to answer my own ? i just got off the phone with a rep at G5 and he said it mainly depends on the CO. States such as NY consider tekken and T3 barbed, but others dont so i guess the best thing to do would be to call the local CO of your area to check. The rep said him self they do not label them as barbed, but its a gray area between the CO's description of "barbed".

Tracker, the rep is a lot more interested in selling product than he is worried about what a CO will say. My understanding is that COs in MN will generally have no issue with this aspect of mechanicals, as long as they do not lock into place in any way when deployed.