• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fawn

Rippinlip

I have been seeing a lone fawn about every time I go out to 1 of my area's.

I have pulled back on it multiple times and just can't pull the trigger on the release.

I have a management tag, but have a difficult time shooting a fawn, but I am starting to think if this lone deer will make it through the winter by itself.

Do you think it will make the winter or should I take it?

Fawns are weaned from mom's milk by now and can fend for themselves.

During the breeding season of the rut (now), the fawns are kicked to the curb so to speak while the doe's and bucks do their thing.

Fawns usually join back up with mom after she's been bred.

Like one poster said, it might be a buck fawn, which is why it's a good idea to really inspect an antlerless deer you intend to shoot this time of year. No point in taking a young buck out if you don't have to.

If you want the meat and have no issues w/ shooting a young deer, why not? That's the nice thing about hunting, YOU can decide what YOU want to shoot or not shoot!

Good luck!

Brian

deer hunting for years and never paid attention to the whys or why nots, like this fawn example. thanks for the information. i'm just one of those guy's who sits on a stand and takes everything in and loving every minute of it and hope for something to come by. truly a bonus. good luck.

I think you should take the deer if it meets your criteria of the type of deer you want to shoot. I don't see any reason to say that the deer won't make the winter unless you notice an obvious injury or it looks sickly now. To each their own as to what deer they want to shoot. As long as it's done legally and ethically I don't care. I will also agree with how good/tender meat from a doe fawn is :-)

Agree reinhard1 same with fawn sightings, I had a doe with 5 fawns come by the other day, I doubt she had 5, likely 2, but the other 3 joined the group, either mom was toast or she was with a buck which makes the most sense as no 1 in our area gun shot a doe and the bow crowd around there are looking for the many trophy bucks that area kicks out, mom road killed ? Who knows but take that fawn if you'll put it to good use, a fawn can and has survived a winter on it's own with a little help from my bird feeder, only deer that came all winter long until almost mid-may then never saw it again.

I have been seeing a lone fawn about every time I go out to 1 of my area's.

I have pulled back on it multiple times and just can't pull the trigger on the release.

I have a management tag, but have a difficult time shooting a fawn, but I am starting to think if this lone deer will make it through the winter by itself.

Do you think it will make the winter or should I take it?

Rippin, she/He will make it just fine. Seems your south of the metro if i remember correctly. Now northern MN, Id be more worried but not there if that is the case. Ive got one right now ive seen every sit. She has laid claim to my food plot!!! I will not shoot her, I just enjoy watching her to much. Next year or the year after? Depends on the season im having. Ive taken my share of fawns but not this one. Its just one of those things I decided once I started seeing her alone feeding on the field she thinks i planted just for her.

I have noticed ever since I have been seeing this fawn that my sightings of bucks have went to "0", so I am going to write this off as mom is out having some lone time with a man of her choosing.

I have very few mature deer for the last few weeks, so maybe the "lock down" in under way and the groups of deer will re gather soon and the little ones will be reunited again.

This one has been fun to watch so like mabr said, I will hust enjoy seeing her/him until something more mature shows up.

Good hunting all!