• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line

Down to Earth

Well its getting close to open water time. I'll probably re-spool my ultra light rods this year. I was wondering what brand of line do you guys use? Do all you stick with the monos? Or have some of you ventured towards others? Towards the end of last year it seemed I had a bunch of problems with "backlashes". Maybe I was just getting to low on the spool. I think currently I have 4lb. Silver Thread on them. What is a good sensitive, low memory line I could go with? Thanks.

I use P-Line floroclear for all my fishing reels, from eyes to gills. I use there floroclear ice line in winter. Pat Smith at Thorne Bros., got me into using it. It is a great line.

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 02-26-2004).]

Andy....The lines being mentioned are excellent lines. Something you need to look at real serious though is whether you intend to bobber fish with these rods. The new flourocarbons are nice, but they sink. If you are fishing a float and are casting more than a couple feet, the bely in the line between your rod and bobber will be underwater and when hooksets come, they wll be very sluggish and you'll end up missing fish. I'd stay with the xl on anything but a rod used stricly for casting lures or vertical presentaions.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

I like Sensithin for a low strech all around line.

Also like the P-line floroclear especially for jigging in the winter. 5# is usually about right for winter walleyes / perch.

XL is great for casting light baits with bobbers.

Hate Vanish. I have had problems with knot strength even when using palomar knots and wetting the line.

The comment about Flourocarbon sinking is right on.

I use more floats when fishing early spring crappies so I stick with 4# XL or Sensithin.

Question about the Floroclear by P-line

What is it made of? What is the stretch like compared to trilene XL, unfamiliar with the lines characteristics.

What is an advantage of a line that sinks , does that mean Mono Floats?

I am switching lines, help!!??

Mono does float.

Do any of you have trouble with XL fraying when you slide a bobber stop on it? I don't recall having this trouble before the 2002 season, but for the last two years XL has been fraying and breaking right where I adjust the stop. I have started using XT and it's working out well.

I thought it might be my bobber stops, but I have tried several different brands now and I have the same trouble with all of them.

I use 2lb dia/6 lb test flame green Fireline on my panfish rigs in the summer. I fish mostly with a bobber and have about 60 various hooks and jigs pre-tied with Vanish 2lb leaders. I put a swivel on the end of the Fireline and can switch baits in seconds. Seems to work very well.

All floros will sink. All of them have limited strech characteristics and they all have their place in the water....just not with a bobber attached to it. But not all floros are created equal. Some are quite soft and supple, while others are stiff and memory laden. The stiffest of the floros is that line which is designated a "leader material". Something to think about when deciding if floro is what you want to use, it has a tendency to scuff and peel badly when used around rocks. I have seen itwith little balls of fluff hanging there, looking like cottonwood lint, when in fact it was the line itself that was peeling. On another note, the money spent on ,say Berkley Vanish, when it is to be used for vertical jigging is well spent. Because of the low stretch , it is very sensitive and signals strikes almost as well as the braids do. It is very good line, but you do need to consider its application.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]