• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small Jigging Rapalas

Crappie Kid

When the Crappies are actively feeding have any of you tried the smallest Rapala brand swimming jig in the green glow color? I have been using this lure with alot of sucess for two winters now. I generally catch bigger fish with it,too. Last winter I iced and released a 17.5 inch Crappie with this lure along with other nice 12 to 14 inch fish. At the same time 2 other fellas I was with were using regular jigs and minnows and were catching 8 to 9 inch fish. I concluded that the larger fish were mixed in with the smaller fish but sat idlely by waiting for something BIGGER and flashier. Am I right in making this assumption?

when the crappies are on my fav lure is not the smallest jigging rap but the next size up, I had the glow-in-the-dark one until some little snake bit me off, now i just use the black backed one with the silver stomach, and i dont think there is a species of fish i have not caught with it. i never put live bait on it either, i just let it sit there and i quiver it back and forth, almost like the action you would get with a buzz stick.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

I have 2 of these. One is in the smallest size with the rainbow trout color and the other one is pretty big (~4") and heavy in the black with silver belly.
I have caught northerns and a LM bass on the small one this winter, but I have never caught anything on the bigger one. Who knows?

ANyway, I'd be very interested in buying one in a glow color.

I have been trying for awhile to figure out a way to add a rattle that would not make me lose hooksets. anyone have any ideas?

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

I like the small jigging rap in the silver/blue finish for crappies. I like to tip the treble with maggots or a minnow head, but it will also catch fish without any bait too. During late ice while fishing crappies I always seem to lose a few small jigging raps on cruising pike too smile.gif I guess that all part of the fun.

Good one Crappie Kid! Nice fish too!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

They have been my go to jigging lure this winter. The two smallest sizes in silver, firetiger and rainbow have working well for me. I start out tipping it and after I catch a few just use it without bait.

Yeah they have worked for me once and a while, caughten whitefish alot of crappies and a huge sunfish once. The Northland airplane jigs have been my go to bait this year in red for aggressive fish in deepwater to get down there faster.
Best Fishes
Chris

[This message has been edited by huskiesplayer15 (edited 03-08-2004).]

Hey Crappiekid Mr.Egg....It appears that you need to go back and re-read the agreement regarding posts. If this comes up again, it will be a door shutting that you'll hear. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 03-12-2004).]