• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leech Lake fillet knife - question about the company

Mistermojo

I think I have my wife convinced to get one for me for Christmas, as I read nothing bad about them except that I should stock up on band-aids.

My only hesitation is now that Don Canney has gone to the big fish house in the sky, if you need warranty help, who do I turn to? I am reading reports on other forums that people are not having luck contacting their office via email or phone. Has anyone attempted to do this since March when he passed away?

Is anyone with Reed's up to speed on what to do?

Thanks,

Mojo

Mojo

I found there HSOforum and now know that I own a Regal fillet knife. Can't help you with your original question but do wonder why you are worried about warranty work before you even buy it.I have had mine for right around 15 years with no problems. I am really glad that I got Don to engrave mine at the Greater Northwest Sports Show.

Part of the reason for spending the money on a knife this good is because of the warranty. If one of the handles on my Wusthof kitchen knives break, I send it back to them and they send me a new one. I'd just like a little more peace of mind that someone is continuing the business and will take care of the owners for years to come. They haven't even updated the HSOforum with info about his passing 8 months ago...

I guess I gotta ask why would you even need a warranty? They look like great knives! No moving parts to break???? wink

I would think with most any knife, anything that would break it would be from misuse and not be covered anyways???

Question....Knife/wife or dog? I can't say cause the "W" watches the site. (I am screwed) Mine is signed by Don, engraved with the fish, dated 1999. I sent my older model in (To G3 if i recall), was told that the finish on the handle was flaking. They sent me a new knife, telling me that they hope I was okay with sending me a new knife. (I sent it in for SHARPENING!!!!) I hope it stays the same, great customer service!

I hope they still take care of the customer, but it has been many years. (They just last and stay sharp)!

I want another.

River-rat4

Well, as they say in the business "stuff happens." I have Wusthof kitchen knives and the handle has cracked twice on my $150 chef's knife. They just replace it and life goes on. You'd think for that much money, nothing should go wrong, but it does.

One of the benefits of buying this knife while Don was still alive was free sharpening, you just send it to them and they send it back. As our friend Smeese found out, that has become a black hole, and has not gotten his $100 knife back.

Hopefully Reed's is able to help him out.

I will post the contact info to people that want it VIA PM. You have to PM me to get it as I am not sure I can post it on the site.......buisness is still in operation from what I could tell. I am guessing that they never took the old site down and the email posted on that site may have been the gentleman that had passed away but that is just speculation. If I get my knife I will post back here.

Thx for pursuing this smeese.

Would love to know what what is the current status of this company.

Much speculation and innuendo could be avoided if "they" would post current information on their webpage.

Perhaps they do not care.

That would be sad.

Great knife and a great legacy; would be said to see it disappear.

Well besides for the initial contact......I have heard nothing......funny how some buisness' lose intrest in you once your cash has been forked over.....time will tell on this one......might end up like my Marcum camera deal last year......UGH such a dark cloud of bad luck

I ran across a guy at the ice fishing show that sells seasonings of all things. He also had some knives at his booth, look identical to the Leech Lake knives. I love mine by the way. Anyways, I chatted with the guy for a bit, and he's the one that told me that that Don had passed away, hold on to my knife as it's a collectors item now.

This guys knives are just like the Leech Lake ones. I don't think I can post the information here without getting scolded. P.M. me if you want the info.

I did have contact with company last summer. I corresponded with Don's grandson who was taking care of things at that time. It appeared they were planning on continuing the company at that time. Don't know what might have happened since last summer. It is a great knife!

messages even in PM's will get you scolded!

I ran across a guy at the ice fishing show that sells seasonings of all things. He also had some knives at his booth, look identical to the Leech Lake knives. I love mine by the way. Anyways, I chatted with the guy for a bit, and he's the one that told me that that Don had passed away, hold on to my knife as it's a collectors item now.

This guys knives are just like the Leech Lake ones. I don't think I can post the information here without getting scolded. P.M. me if you want the info.

Recieved an email today saying it may have just shipped out yesterday so I assume they found it or sent another one.....he was gonna check and see if it actually shipped for sure. I will believe it when it gets back to me. A short answer is better then the ignorance I was getting....will keep you posted.....