• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to respond to a bad Kennel Owner?

Rigging Guy

Hi guys, I just purchased a lab from what was supposed to be a proffessional trainer and kennel owner. I was told that this dog was supposed to be under a year old. So I brought the dog to a vet for shots and so forth and the vet said the dog is at a min. two years old. The dog also show's signs of abuse and was mallnurished along with a possible heartworm problem. I paid top dollar for this dog. the guy was supposed to mail me the papers and never did. The vet said I should take her back and get my money back, but I do not want a dog going back to an environment like that. What would you guys suggest that I do? I am sure someone has had an experience like this before.

I think the USDA (Agriculture) just fined and shut down a big kennel in MN. Yep, found the article. I would maybe give them a call? Good for you to keep her and treat her right!!! The Sheriff isn't a bad person to call either. I definitely would call the Kennel and demand my money back!

Ex-owner of huge dog kennel barred from business

Associated Press

Updated: 11/05/2011 05:49:02 PM CDT

NEW YORK MILLS, Minn. - The former owner of a large Minnesota commercial dog kennel has been has permanently been barred from selling dogs to other businesses because of continuing cruelty complaints.

Kathy Bauck has been barred from future commercial production or resale of dogs to shops or sellers. U.S. Department of Agriculture documents show her license had been previously suspended for two years.

Her business, Pick of the Litter kennel in New York Mills, was once one of the nation's USDA-licensed largest dog breeders. The agency said it sold between 3,000 and 4,000 animals a year at one point.

Bauck's attorney, Zenas Baer, called the license revocation a voluntary surrender.

Bauck and her husband were fined $5,000, according to the USDA agreement dated Sept. 14.

I agree, call the sherriff. If that dog was abused it might be good to inspect the whole kennel, maybe even ask the local vet to come along.

Keep the dog and unfortunatley you may have to sue for your money. Did you sign a contract?

It is fraud at the very minimum and probably felony theft based on the going rate of started dogs.

At the very minimum I would be contacting the authorities and ask to file a report. I know there is not a framework for how this should go, but they will need to take a report and then try to look into it more and possibly give you direction about how to proceed. They may want you to contact the kennel or they may do the follow up. Either way, I would get the cops involved so that you get what you payed for.

Puppy mills are still more common in Minnesota than many want to believe. Pretty easy to run these things on 10 acres.

Sounds like this dog did not come from a puppy mill, but a lab breeder.

I would file a report with the county sheriff or city police. I would also consider a civil case against him even though you many not come out ahead money wise. Publicity and word of mouth is want creates success and failure of most small businesses.

What kind of a contract did you sign, if any? Any reputable breeder will have you sign a contract explaining the health guarantee of the dog. They should guarantee the dog to be healthy when you get it. The breeder should also want you to take it into a vet for a healthy check up so that the health can be verified.

If you just wanted your money back then it should be pretty straight forward. Bring the dog back to the breeder and explain how this dog is not what you were promised. The vet report will prove that.

Since you want your money back and you want to keep the dog then you might have a little more of a fight on your hands. You'll need to get the sheriff involved for that I believe as you'll need to prove that fraud was involved and that the dog is in danger if it goes back to the breeder.

I could see it going 1 of 3 ways.

1. You get your money back but the breeder will get the dog back.

2. You get your money back but the dog needs to be given up to a shelter (you may be able to adopt it after that).

3. You get your money back and you get to keep the dog.

You can always approach the breeder and demand your money back and then threaten legal action if the dog doesn't stay with you as well. If they know they did something wrong they probably won't fight you. Problem is that this route won't prevent this from happening to someone else and another dog. Getting the law involved hopefully will prevent this person from doing this again.