• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spotting/stalking rabbits?

mainbutter

So I'm thinking that I'd love to spend time this winter hunting rabbits. We've got land in pine county where I get to spend some weekends. I see them occasionally while walking around. In the wintertime, I see plenty of rabbit tracks.

The problem is that I NEVER see them before they spook and run.

I'd love to be able to get within 5 yards of one and take a nicely aimed shot. Any tips, particular for wintertime?

They are pretty much low light animals. Early morning

and just before dark they are active and vulnerable.

In the winter,later in the day before the sun drops, they like to come to the edge

of cover and catch the day's last rays of the sun. Keep the sun

to your back and carefully scan the brushlines and cover,looking for the bunnies

outline against the snow. Move quietly, covering the most likely areas.

After a shot, pause for things to quiet down, and resume the hunt.

The first time I went snowshoe hunting my buddies were seeing them all over the place but I couldn't see them at all. I learned that the more I hunted the better I got at seeing them. After a while I got to the point where I'd be able to pick out the tip of an ear or an eyeball from among the brush. Being able to see them is a learned trait. You need to teach your brain what to look for and it takes time. Spend time out there and move slowly scanning for particular shapes such as an ear or the top of their back.

I find this is true for deer too. Ever notice how some guys have this knack for seeing deer? Is it because there are more deer where they are or is it because their brains are better trained at picking out those leg lines or belly lines, an antler among tree branches, etc? The more you get your brain in tune with the surroundings, the better you'll become.

If you're hunting Pine County, I'm assuming you're after cottontails, not snowshoe hares. Unless you can find snowshoes down there now.

In either case, it's a great idea to find their prime cover, which should be easy in winter since (particularly with cottontails) they use regular trails getting to and from their warrens/hides. Find one of those areas, sit down and don't move around. Just swivel your head and eyes. Look for movement against the snow. If it's quite brushy, look for the eye. Once you have a brain picture of it, it's surprising how well you can pick out a black rabbit eye from among the brush.

The first time I went snowshoe hunting my buddies were seeing them all over the place but I couldn't see them at all. I learned that the more I hunted the better I got at seeing them. After a while I got to the point where I'd be able to pick out the tip of an ear or an eyeball from among the brush. Being able to see them is a learned trait. You need to teach your brain what to look for and it takes time. Spend time out there and move slowly scanning for particular shapes such as an ear or the top of their back.

I find this is true for deer too. Ever notice how some guys have this knack for seeing deer? Is it because there are more deer where they are or is it because their brains are better trained at picking out those leg lines or belly lines, an antler among tree branches, etc? The more you get your brain in tune with the surroundings, the better you'll become.

absolutely. friends always ask how i'm so good at spotting deer. I feel the trick is not to look for a whole deer, but look for parts of a deer. Ears, tail, nose, belly line. Same goes for rabbits or turkeys. Just gotta train your brain, like mentioned!

Jarrid, either snowshoe or cottontail taste excellent! Not strongly flavored, but still distinct. A bit like . . . . wait for it . . . . chicken! gringrin

Easy to clean a wabbit, too. I chop off the head and the lower joints with a hatchet, skin, gut, rinse and go from there. Only takes a few minutes to clean one. You can piece it with the bones in like you cut up a whole chicken or bone the meat, depending on how you want to fix it.

You can cook/bake it any way you fix chicken or squirrel. It is very lean as well. It can get dry, since it's lean and there's no skin over the meat. Personal preference? Bunny and dumplings is fangoldarntastic! For that, I take the meat off the bones, just like we do with chicken and dumplings.

Hossenfeffer (rabbit)

1 large

Onion

Sliced

3 cups

White Vinegar

3 cups

Water

1 tbsp

Pickling spice

2 tsp

Salt

1/2 tsp

Pepper

Bay leaves

Whole Cloves

Dressed Rabbit

2 - 2 1/2 lb, cut into serving sized pieces

1/4 CUP

Flour

2 - 3 tbsp

Butter

1 cup

Sour cream

In a large resealable bag combine onion, vinegar, water and seasonings. Add rabbit pieces,

seal bag and toss in fridge for 48 hours, turning occasionally. Remove the meat. Strain and

reserve marinade. Dry the meat well and coat lightly in flour.

In a skillet, brown the meat in butter, gradually add 2-2 1/2 cups of the marinade. Cover and

bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 30 min. remove meat to a

warm platter. Add sour cream to pan juices and stir just until heated through.

Spoon over the meat and serve immediately.