• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lone, distant, random gun shot

BRULEDRIFTER

So how many of you hear those random, distant, single rifle cracks while sitting in your bow stand in the early morning/late evening hours? Seems like I've heard them every time out over the last few sits.

I wonder how many big boys go down with these shots? Kinda sad, I cringe every time I hear them.

Was coming in from bow hunting a couple weeks ago during the early season youth deer hunt when I heard a shot from across the street,it was well past legal shooting hours and couldn't help but think what kind of a-hole is teaching his kid to "hunt"!

Alot of these shots I would say are small game hunters.

Big difference between a shotgun blast and the crack that echos from an .06!

And no, I don't shoot cats, or coons or anything like that. An if I had to, I'd probably choose to use a .22 vs a high powered rifle.

I have heared them also. The mid afternoon ones I chalk up to zeroing in the rifle. The evening ones I chalk up to poaching. The small game rifle/shotgun is very different from the big game rifle. But if it is an overzealous small game hunter, they sure do increase in numbers the week before gun opener.....hmmmmm

I guess I give a little more benefit of the doubt to people shooting rifles than some of the others posting here. If there was that big a spike in poaching activity (not illegal shooting), don't you think we'd be reading about many, many more busts? CO's aren't stupid.

I guess I may be a cynic, but when you see how disrespectful so many are with our natural resources, it's hard not to be.

I honestly think too many people give the general populace too much credit for being ethical outdoorsmen. When you look at the shear number of acreage of woods and lakes that we have and compare it to how few Conservation officers that patrol them; then factor in how often we do hear about poaching, trashing and all out disrespectful behavior.... I mean, I'm no statistician, but it sure seems like the probability falls in favor of the degenerates in our population. I'm sure all the reports that are released in Cuffs and Collars and similar CO reports are not anywhere near all that actually occur and are reported, let alone those that don't get caught.

And seriously, what in the heck could someone possibly be shooting at at first light/twilight, out in the middle of nowhere with a high powered rifle? I highly doubt it's Wiskers the neighbor cat, or a skunk. I'd assume a wolf or big buck just got smoked. But that's just me I guess! wink

Im with you Brule, I'd like to give the benifit of the doubt but like you said 1/2 hour of light and 1 maybe 2 quick rifle cracks. I dont buy it being anything else. Just my opinion though.

When I can, I use my deer rifle for skunks and woodchucks. It's good practice. I'm not much for shooting cats, but I know guys who use deer rifles on feral cats for the same reason. And what about the guy or gal who works until 5 and decides to verify their rifle and scope before season after they get home from work? I know it's illegal, but it'd be one shot, near dark (later in the fall at least). And that's a far cry from shooting at a deer or wolf. I just don't believe that many people shooting a gun are trying to poach a deer or wolf.

Think of this: How many shots are you hearing per night? How many people live in that area? What percentage of those people would have to be poachers for the number of shots you hear to likely be at out of season animals? And why does no one who lives in the area call the local CO and tell him or her to get off their duff and check out some of these piles of dead deer and wolves that would have to be laying around? (I'm not even hearing about many carcasses being found.) Or are these poachers incredibly bad shots? Maybe they should be shooting skunks and woodchucks! grin

Think of this: How many shots are you hearing per night?

Usually one or two, in the AM &/or PM

How many people live in that area? Not many.... some random hunting shacks scattered around but that's it

What percentage of those people would have to be poachers for the number of shots you hear to likely be at out of season animals?

During the dawn and dusk hour, I assume 100%

And why does no one who lives in the area call the local CO and tell him or her to get off their duff and check out some of these piles of dead deer and wolves that would have to be laying around?

I always hope someone who is close enough to pinpoint the shot location DOES call a CO. I know I would if I could pinpoint the exact location!

(I'm not even hearing about many carcasses being found.)

How close do you follow CO reports? How many CO's are there? They can only be in one place at one time, and those places tend to be more popular areas, not the boonies up on the Iron Range

Or are these poachers incredibly bad shots? Maybe they should be shooting skunks and woodchucks! grin

One can only hope!

And why does no one who lives in the area call the local CO and tell him or her to get off their duff and check out some of these piles of dead deer and wolves that would have to be laying around? (I'm not even hearing about many carcasses being found.)

TTT, I have several private lands I hunt north of the cities. The owner’s don’t have a clue where the shots are coming from let alone what season it even is. I had one occurrence this year I wish I had taken action on but it was late and I had no proof only suspicion. Based on what I heard and later seen I’d be willing to bet they had taken a deer by gun. With duck, squirrel etc. etc. open how you going to prove anything. A person doing this is prepared to hide the evidence. Unless you’re doing it continuously in the same area chances are slim of being caught. Believe me, you want to poach a deer it’s easy unless you have a loose mouth. That’s what usually brings them to justice.

I'm with Brule. I hear shots almost every day at dawn and dusk. In northern MN it would be very hard if not impossible for a CO to track the location of the shots. They are rifle shots and not shotgun. Hard to give the benefit of doubt when you don't hear any rifle shots and then the deer start moving becoming visible and I hear atleast one in the early morning and atleast one at dusk. Probably not all, but some are poachers.

Wondered this same topic many times.

Amazing the number of shots from sunset to 30 minutes after happen. Not saying in an evening its a dozen shots I hear. But the fact there is a single gun shot in september in the last glory of 30 minutes of useable light is way too odd for me. It aint upland game or ducks.

In October, yea, maybe more of a chance of a varmint with cover dwindling....

But the skeptic in me says foul play is far liklier.

At the price antler and trophy heads bring nowaday to a poor economy................it's happening a lot more than any of us would believe, I heard a few last night and for some reason kids in that 5-8 year old range aren't too afraid if dad is sharing to tell me we got a deer already, bow no my dad just shot it. But, yes could be anything, but some sort of a % is likely illegal deer activity but that may depend some where you are and live. Remember hopefully you are in bed between 1:00AM-5:00AM so we don't have a good clue as to the real poaching warriors. But no we can't assume every crack at dark is a deer down.

In response to the "why don't we call the CO's" poster....

There is only one Game Warden per hundreds of square miles...they can't be everywhere at once. And, what would I say? "Hey, I heard a high powered rifle shot at dusk somwhere in the vicinity of County Rd B" ???

Even a well intentioned Game Warden wouldn't have a clue where to start looking. Believe me, I wish it was that easy. I have seen trucks obviously shining deer...spotlight on, deer in spotlight. and I have called the Cops/TIPS/CO's...but, by the time they get there, the deed is done.

Neighbors probably don't want to be the one to turn anyone in either...who wants their armed neighbor p*****d at you? out in the middle of nowhere? Not my 93 year old retired farmer uncle and my 84 year old aunt who have neighbors who "live off the land" and are always shooting deer, grouse, or whatever else they want to eat. I don't want Mr.Bipolar neighbor making any house calls on them, so we don't call. But we know it is going on. He is hopefully the exception, but what can we do?

Any other suggestions about how to rectify?

Personally, I just wish we could all follow the rules.

wanna, I used to have your same point of view,I have changed now and if it's blatant poaching or other game violations I call the warden now. One or two shot nothing you can do unless you see them and get a vehicle description or plate #. I called the warden a few weeks back for after hours shooting on waterfowl. It was blatant,shooting up too almost a hour after sunset for 3 nights in a row I could hear it from my house didn't know which pond but gave the warden a intersection to park and listen and after that call I never heard late shooting again. Just reading the cuffs and collars checking for the report.