• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trap gun for wife...

Took my wife trapshooting last Friday, and she loved it. Now I'm looking for a good trap gun that she could also take out pheasant hunting. First of all 20 or 12 gauge, and second what kind? I don't want to break the bank on this either. Was thinking an auto...like an 11-87 or something, but they are a bit on the heavy side. Let me know...

Stay with 12-guage: shooting trap with a 20 is a challenge for a new shooter. Has she had a chance to shoot an overunder gun. Shorter, lighter, quicker than a big heavy ol' semiA.

Get her at the range with a 12 guage mod/full O/O....of any kind and see how she likes it.

I'll bet one claybird she LIKES it. Get back to me. LOL

There was a Citori there, but she didn't shoot it. Maybe we'll have a date night and spend it at the big C store. That way she can handle a bunch of different guns. I agree though, I was thinking a 12 gauge. She was shooting a Mossberg 20 gauge for most of the day.

Charles Daily auto 12, lightweight, inexpensive and a fun little gun! I shoot one myself at times, my wife shoots it too. She now has her own 391, but depending on what you want to spend that might be on the more expensive side. Charles Daily 12 auto under 400 all day long I believe.

semi-autos don't have to be heavy. The 391 is a very light gun, with little recoil. I would look for a good gas operated semi-auto. I wouldn't hesitate getting her a 20 gauge. A lot of people shoot them at the trap range and they do just fine. However, if she has no problem with the 12 then I would probably get her one if I could find one light enough. The OU's can be expensive for some of the nicer ones, the cheaper ones are OK, but if you are worried about recoil, I would stay away from them. They can kick like a mule. I would look for a used Beretta, you can sometimes find 12 gauge AL390's for about $500. They are a light, great shooting gun, and very reliable. Winchester and Browning also make great semi autos. I wouldn't be afraid of a mossberg or a franchi either. Remingtons are good, but I think they can be on the heavy and finicky side.

Well,it may be that SOME people carry a 20 to the trap range....as you state, but not "...a lot of people." At least not if they are serious about trap shooting. You can do okay at the 17 yard line, but as soon as you start moving back to handicap yardage things start to fall apart. At the 27-yard line you are in real Hail Mary range with your little twenty!And keep in mind that 12-guage trap loads don't have nearly the "punch" of a regular game load so recoil is not so much.

And I KKNOW everybody worries about recoil!! Ha Ha!

Well,it may be that SOME people carry a 20 to the trap range....as you state, but not "...a lot of people." At least not if they are serious about trap shooting. You can do okay at the 17 yard line, but as soon as you start moving back to handicap yardage things start to fall apart. At the 27-yard line you are in real Hail Mary range with your little twenty!And keep in mind that 12-guage trap loads don't have nearly the "punch" of a regular game load so recoil is not so much.

And I KKNOW everybody worries about recoil!! Ha Ha!

I actually am worried about the recoil. In fact, that may be one of the most important things. She had a blast last weekend, and I want it to be something that will continue to be fun. If she has a gun that kicks like a mule, it will be game over.

Look at the CZ lineup of guns, they make a very nice semiauto in both 12 and 20 and their over/unders are very nice and won't break the bank either.

Is there anyone in MN that sells them? I tried to do a dealer locator on their HSOforum, but couldn't enter in my zip code.

I found a used 390 at the big C, and I really liked that. I'm not sure what we are going to do. Since she has really only shot trap once (or a shotgun for that matter), she is thinking that spending that kind of money ($500 or more) on a gun might be a little premature. I hate it when she is reasonable grin . I have an 870 that she is going to use until we make a decision. I'll buy a recoil pad for her. When the time comes though, I will definitely look into the CZ. Might even give a place in Becker a call!!!

Thanks for all your help!

I found a used 390 at the big C, and I really liked that. I'm not sure what we are going to do. Since she has really only shot trap once (or a shotgun for that matter), she is thinking that spending that kind of money ($500 or more) on a gun might be a little premature. I hate it when she is reasonable grin . I have an 870 that she is going to use until we make a decision. I'll buy a recoil pad for her. When the time comes though, I will definitely look into the CZ. Might even give a place in Becker a call!!!

Thanks for all your help!

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier, but this is an excellent opportunity for you. If the gun fits her well, you can be a great guy and splurge a little, just to make her happy. You get major points, she gets a great gun. If she decides she doesn't like shooting shotguns after all, guess who gets a hand-me-down? grin It's win-win!

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier, but this is an excellent opportunity for you. If the gun fits her well, you can be a great guy and splurge a little, just to make her happy. You get major points, she gets a great gun. If she decides she doesn't like shooting shotguns after all, guess who gets a hand-me-down? grin It's win-win!

Trust me, I thought of that. HOWEVER, I know she'd be more upset if I did buy it for her. I, myself, am getting a new gun as soon as a flyer comes in the mail telling me there is a 10% off sale or buy $500 and get $x amount off (plus quite a few points I've been building up on a certain credit card). Soooooo, our household will be spending enough cash on shotguns the way it is in the VERY near future. If I wasn't getting one also, I think she'd have no problem getting the 390, which I thought was a nice gun.