• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre-Rut Activity Yet?

mlvaj

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see much activity today, other than a fork who came by on a mission at 5:15. I'm doing a MBRB hunt on a farm north of Stillwater. I'm on a 40 acre hill surrounded by standing corn, and the farmer was taking the corn down as I left tonight. That should improve things.

Well, those picked bean fields I figured would be barren tonight? I had seven does and fawns come strolling out on one at 6:00 PM.

More to the point of this thread, a basket buck came trotting out after them. I didn't hear any grunting or bleating, and the does seemed mostly interested in getting across the field, probably heading for a slough with a small spring in it a quarter mile away. The basket rack wasn't running after them like he would be in two weeks, but he was intent on following them.

The deer were maybe seventy yards out, which is well beyond the range of my old bow, so all I did was watch. The wind was where it was supposed to be tonight, so they never had any inkling I was there.

"What a way to ruin a planned hunt this evening. Got a call from wife at 1:20 pm, Hit a deer, car wont start, come get me! 8 point, was coming out of a swamp area and unseen until it was to late. Broke one side off completly and landed 30 ft from the road."

Looks like you (or your wife) at least got a nice set of rattling antlers out of it.

Saw two small bucks cruising this evening, also heard some bucks sparring as well as what sounded like chasing going on in the cut corn behind me... it should be getting good... even though I am only doe hunting I hope we can get a couple buddies on some nice ones.