• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12V heater for temp use in a P/U topper?

Moose-Hunter

I'm looking for a "temporary use" heat source for my cab height topper. Roughly an area 5' x 7' x 3' tall. This heater needs to be not only effective but efficient. Power source will be one, possibly two deep cycle batteries mounted OUTSIDE the "living" compartment which will be charged via a dual alt, isolated battery bank set up. (Should be SLICK if it works as planned!)

I've been looking at trucker supply places, but was wondering if there are any low profile, high output, low draw, 12 volt heaters available from the RV world?

Electricity is the least efficient form of heat. I use electric heaters when I can, but only when I've got plug in power or a generator.

I will always remind people looking to heat a camper of any size that you should prepare for the trip as if you won't have heat because those batteries can fail. Your best bet is to only use them to take the bite out of the air and dress accordingly and have a proper rating on the sleeping bag for the weather and you should be just fine. If a heater is necessary then I would be rethinking my setup. I understand the convenience, since I used one during turkey hunting instead of using my camper furnace, but without power, neither of them work.

100% agree! But as the title said... TEMP, as in temporary use. Just to take the sting out and not much more. Rest assured... With or without a heat source, proper equipment is always a must.

No power = no heat = no problem due to proper planning and equipment. Plan for the worst and you'll always be covered.

Electricity is the least efficient form of heat. BUT... If used smartly and correctly, it's one of the safest. Be it battery, ac/dc convertor, engine power and the second alternator. TEMPORARY power should not be a problem. I think my most important issue will be conservation of heat that is produced. Again... FM comes to the rescue!

Think portable ice house. You have a small area. You have a small output heater. You're sitting on ICE. Conserve the available heat and you'll be dialed in!!

My topper is still a week or so out. A few truck side parts are in route as we speak. Still looking for a heater of some sort, but the power, will be available! wink

I figure if truckers can do it to warm up their sleepers, why can't I?

I use a little box-style milkhouse heater, but like I said, I don't really care how efficient it is because I don't ever use it without a good power supply.

My point is that just about anything will work. Do you need something 12v or will you use an inverter form the battery? That can make a difference. Camping World does have a HSOforum you can browse or like you said a truck stop or Walmart will carry a couple options I'm sure.

1500 watts = 5,250 BTUs. No way are you going to find a twelve volt heater that will even start to come close to those numbers. Nobody makes one...Maybe a Buddy Heater with the proper ventilation. I'd just get a better sleeping bag...

1500 watts = 5,250 BTUs. No way are you going to find a twelve volt heater that will even start to come close to those numbers. Nobody makes one...Maybe a Buddy Heater with the proper ventilation. I'd just get a better sleeping bag...

Ummm... what? Curious as to where you got the "1500 watts" from...

I'm still in the research stage but have found a few that might fit the bill. AND... A heated "pad" that goes under your sleep pad. Think heated truck seats on a bit larger scale. I may not even need a "conventional" heater as the convection my be enough to remove the bite from the late fall air.

My point is, to get even 5,000 BTUs of heat which would be a minimal amount to heat a pickup topper it will require 1500 watts of electricity. All radiant electric heaters operate at 100% efficiency. So they will all draw the same amount of power to produce an equal amount of heat. There are some 12 volt heaters available that would run on a battery for awhile. They will produce 300-400 BTUs of heat. About the same as having your dog breathing on your feet. There is no 12 volt electric heater available that I know of that will heat the inside. I think you are on the right track by looking at a heating pad of some sort...

Do the heating blanket thing...I was up camping/grousing/stand putting up thing around the isabella area. slept in my topper on a cot with the heating blanket works great....plugs into my little honda generator...keeps me nice and warm

To hafnutz point, I just checked my electric heater that I use in my camper and it is 5100 BTU's at 1500 watts and is 12.5amps. Thats a lot of juice. I can honestly say that it keeps my camper toasty, but it draws a lot of juice and would only be useful if attached to shore power, otherwise you'd have to leave a generator run all the time and that just seems like a waste.

I've been looking at trucker supply places, but was wondering if there are any low profile, high output, low draw, 12 volt heaters available from the RV world?

Unfortunately, high output and low draw don't really jive together when you're talking electric heat.

You said it will be on a charger? Or is that just when you're back home? If in fact its on a charger, that means you have AC power and should just use an AC heater.

If you're truly running just off of batteries, you're going to be hard pressed for power. I'd switch to a buddy heater to warm it up before you go to bed and maybe once in the middle of the night to rewarm it. Dont leave it running while you sleep.

If you do use a heating pad, don't put it below your sleeping pad, put it between your sleeping bag and the pad. Or better yet, inside the sleeping bag.

You had mentioned truckers....they leave their trucks running all night long to produce heat and power.

I bought one of those heater core types like in step vans. It is mounted in a steel boxed unit. Tapped into my heater hoses and it has a 3 speed fan. I put the switch right in the rear corner so I can open the topper door and turn it on and off. The heater is in front corner so it didn't take so much hose. Great to keep my gear from freezing up, keeps wet dogs warm and makes it great for an overnight camper. Just use auto start on truck to warm you up when you need it. I also put valves at the t's where I tapped in so I can turn flow off in the offseason. I have to have it on low it gets so warm. It is small enough that it is not wider than the wheel wells. Fits nicely.