• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Reel

I'm looking at getting a new crappie/walleye reel, i'll probably be using 6 pound test mono on it. Anybody have any suggestions? I figured i'd ask you guys before the wally fisherman cause everybody knows crappie fisherman are much more intelligent! plus i'll probably be using it more for crappies, thanks

Hey guy.

That could be a pretty broad subject. What kind of price range are you looking at?

On average you'll want to look for at least a 3 ball bearing set-up, with a front drag system.

The more ball bearings, the smoother and more durable the reel will be, and front drag is alot more responsive, sensitive, and fishable verses the rear drag type.

Shimano, Shakespeare, Quantum, Abu Garcia...They all make good reels, starting at abour $29.99 and going all the way up to $300. Just depends on how fancy you wish to get.

Line ratings and capacities are typically printed on the spool of most reels. You can use this as a guideline. Some will handle 2-4#, others 4-6#, 6-8# and other combos. For me I'd look for one that handles 4-6#.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

check out the Daiwa Samurai had a buddy of mine get one not too long ago and he let me try it out. I was completely amazed at how smooth this reel was!! It has super-low oscillation speeds which are great for jigging, and the reel runs $35 at Fleet Farm.

Any of these reels will work well for you as long as you stay in the 1000 series- even for the waldos. My preference for the small reels is the shimano 1000 series sahara....quality, but affordable. As for line, I use a premium grade of mono in clear, 2 or four pound on the craps and a six pound for the waldos.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

I have a number of Shimano Spirex 500 reels I've used on everything from medium-ultra light rods. It has 3 ball bearings and is very smooth. It's very light and balanced. I've landed 5 1/2 pound walleyes with it wih no problems. A smaller reel for panfish helps you feel the bite easier. The Shimano 1000 series reels are heavier than I like for this purpose. I do own 1000 series reels for heavier fishing such as heavy weight live bait rig fishing.

I'm on a budget, so when my open face broke on me (last week) I went to Gander and found a Pinnicle PAD 30. Small is PAD 25, then 30, and last is 35. It has dual anit reverse, 4 berings, and front drag. And the price..... 20 bucks! (on sale)I have 6 lb test on there to. It holds over 100 yards of 6 lbs test. I don't remember exactly though, but it was more than enough.

Granted you get what you pay for, but this is not a bad reel and for 20 bucks! If I get a year or two outa it I'll be happy.

Just my .02

Sedona 500s are now on clearance at G.M. in Duluth. Under $30. Great for ice fishing too. Check out the Okuma Epixer or Inspira. Both awesome reels and not as pricey as Shimano. Inspira has 11 ball bearings and 10 in the Epixor. Smooth!