• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.270 with managed recoil rounds

So I'm looking at buying my first deer rifle. I've asked a few questions in the past about this same topic and got plenty of advice so I thought I'd pose this question.

I've been looking at anything from a .243 up to 30.06. My biggest issue is a bad shoulder and inexperience with shooting. I considered a .243 just for a lighter recoil but am concerned about it being too small of caliber. My current thought was to go with a .270 but to start out with managed recoil round. I am hoping shooting a low recoil round will save my shoulder some wear and tear and also allow me to develop good shooting habits without thinking about recoil.

I am curious to hear anyones experience with shooting a manged recoil round from a .270 or 30.06, how much recoil does it take away? For comparison sake I shot a 30.06 with 180 gran core lokt last year, what could I expect in comparison?

I am working on getting my shoulder back to 100% so my intent is to move back to regular rounds once my shoulder can take the punishment.

hey nofish, i bought my son a 30-06 when he turned 13 and got him some of the managed recoil rounds, on the first session at the range he was able to shoot a whole box of bullets without any hint of fliching,woar out the bullseye,they make a big difference,the 21st bullet was one of my 165gr btsp,

and all he could say was WOW!big difference.they claim that the recoil is reduced by 50%, with plenty of knock down left to kill a deer, my son shot a bear with it the next fall,only ran 20 yards.

so id say give them a try they work as advertised.

mike,

Nofish look at a .308.

I have a winchester mod 100 and recoil is very managable I also have a bolt weatherby 30-06 and like remington300 have some pretty hot loads in that 165btsp that will nock your socks off so to speak but using managed recoil loads really makes a difference. You could also look into a limbsaver recoil pad that can take out another chunk of felt recoil also.

If you know someone that reloads bullets they could build you a round also my buddy bulid a round for his daughters Ruger M77 .308 and its half of what the recoil in mine is or at least thats what it feels like.

Once you make a decision thou its time to put some holes in paper to get confident with your gun

Good Luck

A 243 is not too light for deer it is actually a very good deer caliber between my dad and myself we have take over 40 deer with only one being lost. I also took my wild boar with it which dressed at 300# and many fox and yotes. I know when my daughter is old enough to hunt that is what she will be shooting and what I start all the kids with for their first gun.

If you shoot the same brand cartridge, out of the same model rifle, the difference in recoil of the 30.06 vs the .270 should be smaller than you can notice at your shoulder. They are identical cartridges except the .270 is just "necked down". I wouldn't let recoil be the deciding factor between those two calibers.

Well I went out last night and bought the Savage Axis in .270. I wanted the Savage 111 but couldn't find a place that had them in stock. Plus at Fleet Farm the Savage Axis is only $294 with a bushnell scope so it was hard to beat that price.

Recoil isn't the reason for going down to a .270 from a 30.06. A 30.06 is just overkill for what I do. I don't hunt anything larger than whitetail so there just wasn't any reason to go larger than a .270.

My issue with the recoil is hopefully a temporary issue as my shoulder gets better. Until its back at 100% I'll just go with the managed recoil rounds as it sounds like they will take a lot of the kick out. If my shoulder issue looked to be a more permanent issue I probably would have dropped down to the .243.

Regardless I think I have a gun and ammo that will work for me.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I haven't had it on the range yet but I expect it to be able to out shoot my skill level. I bought the package with the intent of only using the scope for a year or two, then i'll look to upgrade. It is nice getting a package deal to help spread the start up costs out over a few years.

I know the wife appreciated that I could get something for under $300. She isn't a big fan of me getting into hunting as it is so being able to get a relatively inexpensive gun sure helped my cause.

This will be my second year of deer hunting and I'm looking forward to getting out with my own rifle and taking my first deer.

Give up a couple of not-so-needed items to buy some ammo.....even cheap old ammo if you can find it. Shoot. Shoot again. Shoot some more.

Then when you are out there standing in the woods just take your time (I know, easier said than done) and you will be able to make a quick, clean kill. We owe it to the animal. Do not take the dead deer home-process it somwhere else.

Might your wife be interested in some plinking with a .22? Shoot a few claybirds?

Enjoy the fall and be safe.