• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to pick up archery, but clueless!

Kim1212

When I was in 10th grade gym class, we had an archery session. I loved it. I have forever wanted to take it up but always lived in the city and never had the chance. Now that we moved back to NE MN, I do. The problem is, I don't know a thing about it, or where to even start. I would eventually like to bowhunt but that is in the future. For now, I just need to learn how to use it. I should mention that I'm now 35, so a long time removed from gym class wink

What are the important questions to ask so I don't get hosed by a sales person? I am a female, but I'm fairly tall (5'9") and strong enough. I assume I don't want to go shopping, or even asking questions at L&M Supply in Virginia. I live up near Ely so I'll have to travel to shop at all. Any opinions on where to go, say in Duluth or near there? Any websites that you might recommend as useful, like a "archery for dummies" type of thing?

I need a new hobby, and I have had this itch for too long now. Time to stop waiting before I get any older. Thanks in advance!

Not close to your area, BUT go to an archery shop. Someone who knows their business. Ask lots of questions. No need for the best out there to start off. You'll work up to that when your ready if ever. ( im not into the high dollar bows and have killed plenty) If they push you toward one Id say walk away. Each bow has its own feel. $$$$$ does not = sucess. Experience does.

Enjoy, it is a life long love once you get started with bow hunting.

Yep, what they said. Find an archery pro-shop somewhere near you, there's bound to be one not too far away. Let them show you several different bows and shoot them all. They will be able to make the bow fit you, that's the most important thing, fit YOU. You won't be able to do that when buying from most big box stores, you won't be able to do that buying a bow off the net. Only a pro shop can set you up with equipment that fits YOU. There's bound to be a few that fall in your price range, then buy the one than just feels the best in your hand.

Then I'd recommend joining a local archery club. They usually have shooting opportunities year round. Indoors in the winter, outdoors in the summer. Your pro-shop can probably point you towards a couple different clubs in the area.

Don't be afraid to post rookie questions here as you progress, there's lots of experienced archers here that are happy to help.

Good luck!

Once you find an archery shop and get a bow, also ask about and join an archery club. Right now most of the members are busy hunting but in the winter they will probably sponsor leagues, you'll learn a lot, in the summer look around for some 3D shoots. Good luck!!

Everyone on here has had great suggestions, and one that I really want to add my .02 to as well is that $$$ doesn't necessarily equal success and actually going to someone that does it for a living rather than one of the big box stores that employ a lot of people that don't live the lifestyle. They know as much about bows as open heart surgery. Some shops out there are also all about a particular brand, I don't think that is necessarily a good thing either. The bottom line is it has to be comfortable to YOU and fit YOU. When I bought a bow for my wife, she probably shot 10 different bows before she found what she liked. I didn't try to influence her in any way, shape, or form. I just told her to pick the one that she liked best and felt the best in her hand. It wasn't the most expensive, it wasn't the cheapest, it was in the middle. That was 4 years ago, she loves it and bowhunting is an activity she really enjoys! Good luck!

Thanks, everyone! We go to Duluth often and are going in a couple of weeks so I'll see what I can find in that area and go from there. I would much rather go somewhere equipped to actually help me than someone who went to a 30 minute training session just to sell things. I was thinking it would be a warm weather activity, it never occurred to me that I might be able to do it indoors, that would be awesome. Now that I'm looking into it, my 2 older sons(almost 15 and 9) are interested too, and my husband definitely is, so it could quickly turn into a family affair. I appreciate the tips!!

Highly recommend Chalstroms as sticknstring suggested. I would only go to the box store in Duluth for targets, releases, etc. L&M and Virginia Surplus have very limited items.

If you are just looking to get into the basics of shooting for fun you may want to look at getting a recurve or longbow. I picked up a "new" recurve for hunting this year off a traditional bowhunting HSOforum for just over $100. I shoot it better and enjoy it much more than my compound. Just something to check out, archery is a great hobby for the whole family.

Definitely go to an archery pro shop! You won't be sorry!

There is an archery pro shop north of Grand Rapids. A TON of people in the area go there.

Good Luck!!!

Brian

I here that's a great shop and planning on stopping in on my next trip to Squaw Lake. wink

Kim their are no stupid questions, if their was one it's one that was never asked. I'm still a dummy at archery even after all the years and animals under my belt I lean a lot every year if it's not in the wood it's from this site. So ask away, everyone else is 100% on with the info given.

Archery is a great family sport, my 5 year old daughter loves it and so does the wife. If or when you decide to start hunting look into the BOW or becoming a outdoor woman program through the Minnesota DNR they have special mentored archery hunts where the mentor normally has all the other gear and you show up and we bring you into the woods and show you how and where to set stands or blinds and why and sit with you coaching you through the whole hunt. The hunts are a great time and I have made many friends through that program I try to help every year with the special turkey hunt they have in East Bethel.

Archerysniper-Wow that's really cool that they do that. I will definitely look into that.

Chalstrom's is the main one I'd heard of but I'll check out the one near Grand Rapids as well. It would make a good day trip. Hearing you all talk about it, I'm excited to get started! I really like the look of long bows, I'll have to try some out to see if I can manage them. Really appreciate all of your advice and tips and encouragement. It's always a bit intimidating to get into a completely new hobby but I can hardly wait. I was talking to my dad about it (who is the man who taught me to trap, hunt and fish starting when I was 11 months old) and he's interested, too. Thanks again, a million times over.

Hey Kim! Welcome to the addiction of archery. I myself started just last year. I can help a little since I've been through it. FIRST, I have a bow you can have if you want it. Its an Alpine Archery "youth" bow that can adjust from 30-50 lbs. Last year I thought something was wrong with it and sent it in to Alpine and they replaced it with another bow- so it is virtually brand new. But, while I was waiting I bought another bow so now I don't need it. I thought about selling it, but, maybe it's time I "paid it forward" - so, if you want it and we can figure out shipping, it's yours. I am in the Bemidji area.

Other than that, what worked best for me was to find 1 person that I continue to work with when I need something at my pro shop. Talk to them and when you feel that connection, stick with one person. We archers tend to feel strongly about how we do things and what works for us, so if you work with more than one you may end up confused as a result.

Just my .02

If you want the bow, send me a PM ....Good luck!

Wow, wannafish, that's so amazing of you to offer! We could definitely work something out, even if I ended up unable to use it, I have a almost-15 year old who surely could. Thank you so much. I'll send you a PM with my other contact info. Thanks for the tip as well, that makes sense to me.

I am also a lady hunter who is interested in getting started in bow hunting. But i don't know anyone who does bow hunting. I've been bugging my husband for the past two years about getting into it. I've also looked at the MN DNR program that is offered to women. I'm thinking about doing it sometime in the next year.

Now some questions:

I've heard people say that you have to be able to pull a certain amount of weight before you can shoot a bow, i want to know what i can do to prepare for this?

Besides finding a place to shoot or buying the right equipment, what can I do to be physically prepare for this kind of sport?

I have more questions but I'll throw it out when it comes to my mind.

Thanks in advance.

klee, the minimum weight thing is just for hunting which the draw weight needs to be 30 lbs or greater. I can recommend a good shop if your willing to drive. A1 archery in hudson or gander mtn in forest lake and have Mike Foster work with you there.

A1 archery in Hudson without a hesitation. I have gotten 3 youths into bow hunting with them as my shop and they spend an inordinate amount of time with them. From tuning the bows to fit them perfect, to standing by them when they first shoot to give pointers and they never ding you for all the little incidental adjustments and make sure you are comfortable all through the process.

They have a bunch of different leagues you can sign up for also.

The DNRs B.O.W. classes would be great to get your feet wet in the hunting world and potentially connect with another gal that develops the same interest. This will cover a much broader spectrum than just bow hunting...

Good Luck!

Ken

I just bought my son a Mission Rage. It is adjustable from 15-60 pounds I believe and alomst any draw length. I figured it will last him as long as he wants it...

I paid the $25 to be an A1 club memeber and recieved 10% off. With arrows I was just over the $500 mark.

To start you can go the Browning Micro midas route, I believe it is adjustable to 45 lbs, but you will need a new rest and arrows immediatley and most likely not be too happy with the sights. I think new they are around $200. You will be around 300-325 this route, but will most likely be buying a new set-up in a year or so...

Good Luck!

Ken

Do I have to have my own equipment for them to show me how to use it, or do they supply something for me to try?

Does it cost to have someone show me or work with me to learn more about it before making a big decision to purchase?

Any decent pro shop will teach you how to properly shoot and let you shoot several bows in your price range before you decide to buy. No charge.

They MAY offer lessons after your purchase for a moderate fee, though if I were you, I'd join a local club that has year-round shooting. More help there than you can imagine.

All I can say is WOW welcome to the archery family!!!! Good luck in your ventures in taking up this great hobby/sport of archery, this forum has some of the best, open minded archers you could ever communicate with... laugh

Good luck and don't be afraid to fire the questions at us.

meat-run