• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My dog doesn't have fleas......

Eric Wettschreck

At least I don't think so. I've looked and looked and looked and looked and can't see anything. However, aboot a month ago he started nipping and licking at his back, a lot. He also does the roll around on the ground trying to scratch his back thing. This is all happening on the top of his back, at the base of his tail. Not his hinder, but his back.

I can't see anything on him. I've looked a bunch of times. No spots, no eggs, no little critters.

He's not a dog about town or allowed to just run free, but he has free reign of the 4 acre yard and scuffles with / kills critters that come into his territory.

Any ideas what could be causing his itching????

Allergic to cats? smile Also have a dog that will go to the extent of biting her hair out it itches so bad, and it is also right near the tail; like you, cant seem to find anything either. It happens about once a year, don't really know about time specific, as it might be allergies of some sort. Usually end up shaving the area and the Mrs. puts some sort of hippie tea tree oil/ peppermint/patchouli essential oil blend(truthfully really don't know) on it and it seems to go away. Weird. Anyone else?

Hopefully your dog is a lighter color.

About 20 years ago, (around my college days) I had a real bad issue with fleas. I had about 4 animals at the house and they all had them. It got so bad that they would be in the carpet as well. I ended up having to bug bomb to kill them.

1.You should be able to see fleas if they are there. Check expecially around the ears and neck. They are about half the size of a pinhead. You also can get a flea comb and see if they are in there.

2. Buy a flea collar and that should help.

3. Might be an alergy, both of my dogs have had issues with alergies but since the frost, their coat is getting better. I also swiched dog foods to a holistic food that seems to help as well.

Is the dog getting any sores?

Good Ol Hippie Patchouli Oil...Still laughing at that one!

If it is really irritating the dog it may be worth shaving a small section to see if there is any irritated looking skin. If it is on the back, he may be rubbing something that is causing the irritation. Look around your garage, is there any odd chemicals that the dog could be getting into, rubbing up against, or other means of contact. i.e. something spilled on a bench and the dog rubs up against it. Laying on insulation, or another irritant.

Alergies also sounds logical, and they don't necessarily have the alergies from birth either.

Change the dog food lately? Any other changes to the dog's lifestyle? Other critters around the house, cats, etc.. Marv spray to close to the house this year laugh

Good Luck.

I suggest a change in dog food too.....Good quality food, no corn, etc....I feed Diamond Natural and supplement with meat scraps,eggs,fish and other protein foods....No dry skin, coats, rashes, itching, etc....Shiny coats,bright eyes,and overall good health are the result.....Most dry dog food today is junk food for dogs. Canines and their ancesters don't eat corn or most grains, but do eat meat, fish, eggs, bones.....Much of the money spent on vets for skin,eye, and coat problems can be saved by feeding quality food ,MEAT, and other protein.....Not cheap , but, very rewarding.

Answering the questions.......He's a light colored dog. White with black spots. Half Germain shorthair and half farm dog.

No new Marv spraying that I know of. I think the field is gonna become CRP next year, which is really cool for me and hunting. grin Sides, every time Marv came by and sprayed something he always let me know.

No, it's not fleas. I looked again and again and again.....there are no little critters on him.

I spose it could be some type of allergy. He's 8 and I've never seen this before but that doesn't mean anything. If it is an allergy he'll just have to get used to it.

Again, after another real close inspection of the area I can't see anyting. NO dark spots, not critters, no eggs, no bite marks , no nothing. We'll just wait it out unless I I see / hear something different.

As far as food goes, he's a country dog. Dog chow and cats is what he's lived on for this many years. Dog chow and cats and ducks and deer legs and pheasant skins and that kind of stuff is what he'll be eatin until he dies.

Thanks fellas