• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting permission to hunt

MUSKY18

SO what is the best way to approach someone about gaining access to their private land to hunt. Is there some "rules or guidlines" that I should go by? Do they expect to get some meat? Just wondering what to expect when I ask for permission.

SO what is the best way to approach someone about gaining access to their private land to hunt. Is there some "rules or guidlines" that I should go by? Do they expect to get some meat? Just wondering what to expect when I ask for permission.

Last spring I went around in my street clothes and I'd start by saying "sorry to other you." and I'd always ask if they were "willing to discuss allowing someone hunt their land." I think that's a good approach. Rather than "Can I hunt your land?" Asking for a discussion. I brought one owner pickled carrots and hand-made lures (I missed the turkey so I had no meat.)

Out of six stops I have a couple firm rejections, a few polite "no's" and one "yes."

I'd certainly offer tenderloins for the privilege to hunt good land!

Also they seem to be more open to bow hunters than gun.

Look respectable, act respectable, ask respectable and if they need a urging to be convinced ask them if there is anything you can do for them. Like help put up a few bales of hay for them, walk a few fences to see if they need tending, want some of the game you harvest and if they do or do not grant you permission ALWAYS thank them for their time. If you get permission, surprise them around the holidays with a card from your family and a little gift, maybe a gift certificate to a place they like to dine or a beverage of their choice.

I always Christmas cards and gift certificates to locale eateries to the land owners. I have helped cut firewoood, have helped with the cows, have helped during harvest... Farmers are always busy and usually appreciate any help you can give.

If you get permission, be sure to get a clear understanding of what the landowner is allowing you to do, and don't go on the assumption that since "he/she didn't tell me not to do this, and I didn't ask about it, I can do it".

This seems obvious, and I probably didn't need to point it out, but as a landowner I've run in to this issue more than once. For instance, me allowing a person to hunt first shotgun season on my ground does not give them permission to let all their buddies shotgun hunt it second season.

This just happened to me last year; I only knew about it when I drove out to check my land and found two people I had never seen or heard of before shotgun hunting it. When I asked them what they were doing there, they replied that they "were friends of X".

Back to the original post: what the other people said. Be courteous, and doors will open for you.

A couple tips, since I went on my little rant: if possible, look for elderly widows who took over their husband's farm. They aren't likely to be hunting it themselves, and unless they have kids or grandkids who hunt their land, they are usually happy to let people hunt their farm.

If you are talking to farmers, and you are happy taking a doe, tell them that. Many grain farmers are happy to let someone cull the deer on their ground, and may be more receptive to someone who isn't just looking for a wall-hanger.

I always do the thank you card with a gift certificate. I always offer them meat, even if I don't get one on their land, some want some, some don't. It's always nice if you can find a connection, maybe you know one of their neighbors or somebody they work with. Naturally that's much more likely if you live & hunt in a smaller community. Often just offering to help with projects & being serious is enough. They don't necessarily want or need you to help, but appreciate the offer if it's sincere.

I'd agree with whoever said bow permission is much easier than gun permission. They know they don't have to worry about bullets whistling through their yard or every deer being killed.

Great advice. I don't think any landowner expects anything from you in return for the opportunity to hunt their property but it's certainly the appreciative thing to do and a small investment compared to those leasing places for hundreds or thousands of dollars each year. I hunt my neighbor's farm in addition to our land and in return, I will give him a variety of venison bologna, summer sausage, hot dogs and so on at Christmas and then will stop over and help him out with tasks I would have anyway - i.e. like cutting up and moving a tree that fell across his driveway. Whatever gift or help you offer, make it sincere and appreciative and chances are you'll be given the chance to hunt again next year. Also, I always ask every year if I can hunt once again before I start scouting and moving around on his property. Maybe not necessary but its just a matter of respect in my opinion. Good luck! Start asking around!

It is always necessary to ask permission every year. It is just a courtesy factor and you never know if they have let new hunters in or have a family member that has started hunting.

Like Deerminator stated I stop frequently throughout the off season and check in and see if they need a hand with anything. In my area a lot of the landowners burn wood so I will take a couple truck and trailer loads to their houses and stack it up for them.