• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for strap-on tree steps.

Cheetah

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can buy some strap-on type tree steps? Ameristep used to sell them and I have three but can't find any more. I believe there was a recall last year and now it looks like Ameristep doesn't sell them anymore. The Walmart over in St. Croix Falls only had screw-in steps. Maybe another company makes some?

I am not interested in those ladder sections, only the tree steps.

Reason I ask is because on public land in Wisconsin it is technically illegal to use screw-in tree steps.

thanks.

Like these:

10101.jpg

Cheetah you should look at the Muddy or Lone wolf steps. I also pick up the Menards specials ladder sticks when on sale. I use them for all public land hunting. MN you are not suppose to screw in steps either on certain land. I have ladder steps for NE, WI both states hunting land that you cannot use screw in steps. Ask Neil I'm sure he has some steps hidden away. grin

I know full well about the safety issues of the strap-on style and am comfortable using them. Unfortunately they are dead product. I got a reply from Ameristep when I emailed their Customer Service.

"We do not sell nor intend to sell in the future any of the strap on tree

steps. We do have the screw in tree steps."

I'm considering the Lone Wolf Mini ladder sections, possibly the bigger ones as well but want to see how big they really are before buying any. I really hate the idea of hauling anything that sticks out further from my body or weighs very much more than what I currently carry in. All of the other brands of sticks I have looked at weigh considerably more than the Lone Wolf products.

I have never used the strap on steps and I gave up screw in at least 5yrs ago so I cannot compare weight, but the full size lone wolf and the summit bucksteps each weigh 10lbs for the set and they will get you 16-20ft in the air depending on the spacing. The bucksteps are shorter than the LW sections but they have larger steps that you can get both feet on.

I strap them to my stand the same way the LW are designed and they are smaller than the stand.

I almost fell about 10 feet out of a tree last night because of the Ameristep strap on steps. My second to the top step just gave out when I was getting down. I was able to catch myself on the stand and grab the tree before I feel all the way down, but I did bang my elbow and ribs pretty good (no serious injuries.) The step broke so easily, I thought I had accidentally stepped onto a small branch at first. I didn't know about the recall until today, but I am going to be returning all the steps back to the manufacturer and finding something else to use.