• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New sled?

Dahitman44

What he means is that nobody has found a way to successfully circumvent the E-Tec computer system. Therefore any high performance mods you might try will be rendered ineffective by the computer. Most of the older generation stuff can be over ridden and made to perform better than stock, so clutching and traction devices would be the only edge you might gain performance with on the E-Tec.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate modified sleds. I had my old polaris that had the clutch engae at like 5,000 rpms. Fun with the buddies -- went off like a rocket ship ... but not fun for trail riding with young family. Especially when they were really young and they were on the sleds with us!

I've owned 3 600 etecs: 2 TNT's ('09/'11) and 1 Renegade ('10). If I were to buy another sled (I'm actually getting out of the sport due to various, unrelated injuries), it'd be another 600 etec.

As previous poster stated, for trail riding, no matter how aggressive you want to ride, there is little to no difference between the 600's and 800's. I've put thousands of miles on mine and for trail riding, it just doesn't make sense to go bigger (for me). While the advantages of the etec motor are: *easier on gas (17-20 mpg, close to 200 miles per tank), *easy 1 pull start (I just pulled my '11 tnt out of storage - 1 pull), *self winterizing (just hit a button and it winterizes itself), *much less smoke vs carbed motor - you can't even compare.

The guys I ride with ride hard and the 600 etec does not disappoint. The XP is the easiest riding sled, by far, that I've ever been on. So, even though you will do a lot of riding with family, if you ever get out with a group of guys that like to run at a good pace, you'll have no problem keeping up or leading the group. Good luck.

That's a tough question with the renegade. There are guys that have rode both the Gade and the short track and will swear the Gade is the sled to ride, then there are guys like me that owned both and prefer the short track. They're both great sleds, but undeniably, the short track is less driver effort when riding the twists and turns hard for 200 miles or more. The group I rode with rode hard, so the harder you ride, the more you notice the extra effort with the longer track.

I don't want to be the one to tell you which sled to buy, but myself, I think the TNT is the best thing on snow.

The push button winterization basically goes like this: Start the motor, let it warm up, hit the "set" button, then simultaneously hit the high/low switch. The instrument panel will then tell you when to stop doing this. Hit the "set" button again, then the computer revs the motor up and starts dumping lots of oil into the motor, coating it well for summer storage. When it's done doing it's thing, it shuts the motor off. Viola - you've just summerized your etec motor.

Good luck with the new sled.

I'd have to say I'm in the "There are guys that have rode both the Gade and the short track and will swear the Gade is the sled to ride" group. I've owned both and not many people I know ride much longer days than me. Nearly 27,000 combined miles on just my last 2 sleds. I rarely ride less than 250 a day and have ridden as much as 375 in a day and I've yet to experience any increase in "driver fatigue" over my short track sleds of the past. I don't know if its a better ride, or maybe just not having to keep the short track from fishtailing. Either way as KDawg said they are both great sleds and it really boils down to personal preference and riding style. I cant imaging going back to a short track at this point.

I rarely ride less than 250 a day and have ridden as much as 375 in a day and I've yet to experience any increase in "driver fatigue" over my short track sleds of the past.

My God! 375 in a day. It's hard on my body driving my truck 375 in a day. You are a machine.

1. Kids are grown and gone. Wife doesn't like to ride any more..... too cold!

2. We don't drink.......we ride. Riding time is too hard to come by to sit in a bar.

3. We plan routes to avoid populated areas except for gas.

4. We begin riding early before there is much trail traffic. (Often have 100 miles behind us by 10 am.)

5. We keep our sleds well maintained and rarely need to stop for a trail repair.

( I stop more for pictures than anything else)

6. Usually know our destination before we leave to avoid repetitive map checks.

7. I ride with the same group most of the time and we have similar riding style.

We check every time and he edges me out by about a half gallon in about 100 miles, but I use less oil. But I usually end up leading when we ride and I think following is easier on the throttle.

He also weighs in about 35 or 40 lbs less than me for some reason. wink

Arctic Cat. Basically when they come out with something, within 5 years everyone else is trying to copy it. Batteryless EFI, A-arms, the list goes on and on. 10 years ago nobody had A-arms except Cat. I don't think there's a company out there now that's still putting trailing arms on. Basically they're 3 steps ahead of everyone else in terms of new technology.

I just bought a Skidoo Renegade 600 SDI a few weeks ago and am picking up another for my wife. Havent driven the longer track but have heard nothing but good things. My wife likes very smooth ride so I'm thinking the longer track will help w/ that.

I figure 600 is plenty vs 800.

My old MXZ 600s used to fly.

Arctic Cat. Basically when they come out with something, within 5 years everyone else is trying to copy it. ...

Ski Doo beat them to exhaust valves. They had those well before the other manufacuturers. I think Yamaha may have had the electronic valves before Cat did.

Ski Doo beat them to exhaust valves. They had those well before the other manufacuturers. I think Yamaha may have had the electronic valves before Cat did.

They also beat the others to electronic reverse, rider forward, and low emission 2 strokes.

Its always been and always will be a game of leap frog for the manufacturers, each one has made their share of firsts in the industry.