• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEW!

fishinjosh98

For hunting with a bow in MN you need a bow with a minimum draw weight of 30lbs. There is plenty of reading in this forum so check out some of the other threads.

Archery is fun and challenging because of the "personal fit" involved in your bow and shooting it. So, telling you that there is one great bow out there and it will make even a newbie a great archer would be silly.

FInd someone who is an archer and have them teach you the basics. I that isn't possible then the bow shops will teach you. The best advice is to find a local archery shop that you can visit and shoot bows. Test out as many as you can and you will quickly decide what you like and don't like in a bow. Some people like different things about how they draw or the drip or the way the bow feels after the shot.

DOn't feel compelled to buy the most expensive items. Its not always needed. If you decide that you really love bowhunting, then you can sell old parts to upgrade to better ones. For the most part, you get what you pay for in archery gear.

Well I am proud of you for being interested in bowhunting at a young age. See if there is an archery club at your school or in the area. There may be many options such as at the bowshop or through the parks.

Don't be afraid of buying a used bow. Thats how I got started. Many shops carry used bows and most can give you some ideas about which ones are worth it. My first bow setup cost $250 with everything on the bow. I added arrows and broadheads and had a hunting outfit. I sold that same bow two years later for $250. It killed more deer in two years than I killed with a gun the previous ten years. Learning archery will make you a better hunter.

My wife n I started this year, she started at 37lbs draw and I started at 57lbs draw now in a month with continued practice my wife shoots 46lbs and I shoot 67lbs. So when it comes to draw wt strt out with what's easy for you and in no time with practice your arms will gain the muscles n memory to pull more back. All I can say is practice to have fun and it will stay fun- don't over do it cuz there's always tomorrow.

Also I started shooting with the z7 extreme, my wife a cheap year 1990 bear and gotta say we both love our bows I paid $1700 with top notch accessories and my wifes full setup was around $250 and both ends of the spectrum are going to kill deer! Either way a bow shop can help you out a bunch they love getting new archery guys n gals into the sport!

Well good for you for taking an interest in archery. In my opinion bowhunting whole lot more exciting than rifle hunting. That being said it is also a lot harder too.

Being 13 I would recommend getting a bow that has a large draw length range and large draw weight range. I believe powerstroke is right, in Minnesota to hunt deer with a bow your draw weight has to be a minimum of 30 pounds. The reason why I suggest a bow with large draw length and poundage range is to get a bow that you can grow with. Also, if you do get a bow try to get one that is set up with everything on it. It will save you a lot of time and money. You can always upgrade your equipment later as time goes on. The most important thing is to get a bow that fits you. It doesn't have to be a flashy expensive bow. A nice used one will work just as well. Try your local bow shop first to see what they have in a set up and for advice. My first bow was a used bow that had everything with it. It was about 175 dollars and worked very well. Two examples of bows with a wide range of draw length and poundage are the Barnett Vortex bow and the Fred Bear Apprentice RTH bow package. These two are just examples for you.

For your other questions you have I would suggest reading up on them. It is a lot of information and everyone will have different opinions about each piece of equipment on what is good and what's not and so on an so forth. I would suggest doing some research on it to find what is best for you. I usually look online at Cabelas HSOforum when looking at equipment, this just helps be browse without actually having to go to the store. Early on in my bow career (and I still do) I would look for the "Buyers Guide" link when I am looking at equipment I was thinking of buying (broadheads, binocs, treestands etc) The Buyers Guide link is an article contains info on what to look for when getting certain piece of equipment to help you make a better selection for you. I found these to be very good basic info on what to look for to help me better my hunting.

Another good place to get great information is from bowhunting books. I get mine from the public library, that way it doesn't cost me anything and if I get one that isn't what I was looking for I didn't end up wasting money on it. Two very good books that taught me a lot are "Mapping Trophy Bucks. by Brad Herndon. This book will talk about using a topographical map to start your scouting and it give a lot of info on tactics and tips when your out setting up a treestand or out hunting. Another good book is "Strategies for Whitetails" by Charles Alsheimers. These two books have a ton of info on tactics, deer behaivor, scouting tips, and differnt ways of deer hunting that will help you get a better understanding about bowhunting.

The internet has tons of info out there on bowhunting. But beware there are good sites and bad sites. If you do read some info on one webpage see you can find the same info on other pages to verify it or back it up. This forum usually has a lot of good info on it. There are a lot of people that will give great tips and advice on deer hunting. If you want a ton of info on what to look for when getting a bow http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm is a HSOforum that explains what all the terms means when people start talking about bows. It is along article but I feel a pretty good overall info about what to look for in a bow.

Last but not least your local bow shop. If you can find a good bow shop it will be like a gold mine for helping you get the right equipment and hunting gear. Plus, they will have a wealth of knowledge that will be invaluable.

I hope this helps. I know it didn't answer your questions that you had originally posted but I hope it helps you get started on finding what works for you. It does take time to gather info on all this stuff but, it will help you down the road to avoid many pitfalls of equipment that doesn't work for your style of hunting. Good luck and I hope you find an archery set up that will bring you hours enjoyment.

Newfish

Great advice above on Bows and Broadheads.

If you are just starting out hunting and not just shooting. Keep all your extra's at a minimum.

Calls I would not worry about unless you are still gun hunting and are planning on hunting prior to and during the rut. I would recommend the Buck Roar by Primos, you can adjust it from a fawn bleat to agressive mature buck.

Camo, don't go overboard right away, chip away with some camo to get you by for now and upgrade later.

I would say go out and buy yourself something simple and a little over sized so you can layer underneath.

There is so much more to consider, stands/blinds, backpack/fannypack, quivers, releases, binocs, knives.....etc.

Keep posting and we all we keep responding.