• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best all around shotgun, any advice?

Im looking to purchase a new or used 12 gauge soon for the upcoming season. I have used a Remington 870 for 15 years, it has been my only gun, but was short on cash last year so I sold it. I loved the gun, but was looking to try something different, any suggestions? I would use it for deer slug hunting 10% of the time, pheasant 60%, and duck and goose 30% of the time. Im not worried about a slug barrel, I have always used my bird barrel for deer. What are some good options under 400 bucks? I found a used Browning BPS upland gun with a 26 inch barrel for $379, a new Weatherby with 28" barrel for $319, and a Stoeger pump for around $300. Are any of those good options? And what are some other good choices in the $300-400 price range? I have only hunted with a 870 and I know pretty much nothing about any other guns. I did like the BPS for $379, any input would be great!

I've always liked the Browning BPS. But im with Mnice the 870 for the price is a great shotgun, but personally I would go with an older 870 seem's to me that the steel has changed in the newer ones don't know this for a fact but from some experences I have seen rust start to form within a day of wet waterfowl hunting? confused Another choice that would be a good pump would be an 835 ulti mag mossberg but you have to buy a slug barrel for deer hunting the factory barrel found on most 835's will not accept slugs. Good luck and most of all find what fits you best. 2c

What's wrong with a nice used Mod. 12 Winchester. Or just buy another nice used 870.....there are plenty of them around. Can you find a good used Ithica pump gun? Great shotgun and as solid as those above plus bottom ejection.

Pretty hard to beat an OLDER American made pump shotgun. American made I said.

I'm a fan of 870's and I own 5 of them they are hard to beat my express has been at the bottom of the swamp to a canoe paddle and still works like new as a matter of fact my son has fallin in love with it and claimed it as his

The 870 for the money is prbably the best all around shotgun and if you shop a little you should be able to find a combo set up bird barrel and slug barrel.

Another tried and true is the Mossberg pump I have seen combo's go for around $350.00

If your looking for a auto look no farther than the stoger p2000 great gun I love mine and again if you shop you can find one for under $400.00. great waterfowl gun and lighter than my 870's for phesants and all you need to do is put a rifled choke in it and you deer hunting

I totally agree with LMITOUT on this

If it fits you and you feel comfortable then it's probably one you want to consider, if it fits your budget. Don't force a gun to feel comfortable just because others say it's good. If it's natural to shoulder and swing on target, that is what is important. Otherwise you're thinking about the gun and not the target.

Best all around shotgun everyone will give you different answers the best advise I can give is find one that fits you like its part of you then buy it.

I have the 870 in two configurations as well as a 1100 and a high buck Browning Citori. And the one I use most often...

The 870 that's dang near as old as I am. It's a magnum receiver with only the "m" in the serial number to give it away. As a carpenter needs a good hammer... Well so does a hunter. The 870.

The 870 that's dang near as old as I am. It's a magnum receiver with only the "m" in the serial number to give it away. As a carpenter needs a good hammer... Well so does a hunter. The 870.

Old 870's are great. The new ones, not so much. I'll never sell the 3 wingmasters I have, and all of them are older than me. Even my 17 year old wal-mart 870 express is a tank compared to the [PoorWordUsage] that comes from the factory now. And when they get all rusty and the stock starts to crack from too many days in the duck blind, you just turn them into one of these:

2011-06-04_10-50-55_269.jpg

Im thinkin Im going to take everyones advice and pick up another 870. Only thing is, everyone says the new ones are no good, should I get a used one? I found a great deal on a new 870, priced at 319, on sale for 289, and with a 30 dollar remington rebate total price of 259. I thought that was a hell of a deal. My other 870 that I sold is 15 years old, so I used it for 12 years, 12 years of slug hunting (with my bird barrel), about 5 years of pheasant, and about 5 years of duck hunting. Only gun I ever owned besides my double barrel .410/.22, and I think the only time in 12 years the 870 failed me was about 8 years ago when I was aiming at a buck, it was very cold out and I pulled the trigger and it wouldnt fire. That was 1 in about 2000 shells through that gun, so I like those odds! But what is wrong or different with the new ones? The sale goes through next wednesday so I have 8 days to decide if thats what I will pick up.

For that kind of money you can hardly go wrong But I would look around for an older one myself as they seem to be built so much stronger. my express is 20 years old and wouldnt get rid it for any money.

I know that The big C store in rogers has some and they are high priced but you can talk them down pretty easily and there are a few other places to get you hands on 870's as well check out gun broker dot com and other online gun store also you may find a smoking deal on one also I did happen to see an 870 in our classifeds not to long ago dont know if its still there.

Good luck with what ever you choose

One thing to note about 870s: The Express is the economy/ introductory/ value model. The Wingmaster is better quality, built with selected parts. The Police is the highest quality, built with the best parts off the line.

I have no idea about availability or price difference. This is just something to keep in mind if you happen to see two of them side-by-side.