• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Revolver Choices

I've just started researching revolvers for target shooting, hunting and home defense, basically an all aroung gun. I'm leaning towards something in .44 rem mag. The Taurus revolvers are much closer to the price range i was hoping for.

I'm usually a firm believer in getting what you pay for. I've noticed the S&W revolvers are quite a bit more expensive ($300-$500 more for same caliber and similar looking gun). Are you just paying for the S&W name or is the quality that much better? I'd be willing to pay more if i knew i was getting a much better gun.

From what I understand, Taurus basically bought a bunch of S&W molds a while ago, so that's where the similar look comes from. I have also heard that they used to have a lot of trouble with quality control, but that that has gotten better. I would be very thorough in function-checking the specific revolver I was looking at. A few years ago (maybe 3) handled a Taurus 94 .22lr that would let the hammer forward from the cocked position if I put pressure on it to the left. That's obvioulsy a big problem.

I shoot Ruger revolvers and love them. S&W .44 mags are specifically called out as unable to handle the largest loads from Buffalo Bore, so that's something to take into consideration if you're thinking about that sort of thing for hunting or personal defense in the great outdoors.

On another note, I think that .44 magnum is probably not the best home defense load. It will literally shoot through multiple people, multiple walls, or people and walls, and could end up doing more harm than good to you, your family, and possibly your neighbors. I don't know if frangible bullets are available in .44 mag, or how closely they would perform to expectation. You could fire .44 spl, but I don't know that much about performance. If you have a hunting shotgun, that might be a better choice with a short barrel and the right rounds.

I have the S&W in 41 mag 8 3/4 barrel and love it but I think my next pistol purchase is going to be a ruger 44 mag

My S&W is very accurate and can put 4 outta 5 into a pop can at 40 yards the only thing I dont care for it is the availability of bullets and the price of them.

The 44 I think is alot cheaper to shoot

Both my wife and I have shot handguns for better than 30 years, some of them in competition and we both prefer revolvers over semi autos. Having owned guns from all the major makers, I've formed some opinions on this subject. Rugers are good guns, but I find the triggers rough. Colt makes some fine revolvers with the Python being their premier piece. I love their single actions too. But overall, you can't beat Smith & Wesson for great revolvers. And that concludes what I consider to be the major makers of fine revolvers.

I agree with JPenny. Rugers are tanks I love them for my hunting guns. I absolutely love fit and feel of the the older Pythons. And finally the Smith & Wessons are good shooters as well, although typically I'll send them in for a little before I really like the triggers.

Where does a guy have to go to look at a halfway decent selection of revolvers? I've mostly just been into the big sporting goods stores. They will have 30 feet of display cases full of semi autos and maybe a 4 foot section of revolvers. Im starting to lean more towards purchasing online. Any suggestions of gunshops where i can look at and handle a bunch of revolvers?

If you are pertty sure you'll purchase online, go to a big-box and look at what they have. (Probably do this anyway, just to be thorough.) I'm not a fan of going to a small shop to get all the good info and customer service from the owner or really knowledgable staff and then buying someplace else for price. I guess the prices aren't always lower, but the knowledge/ experience is worth something, too.

I'm with Jpenny on this one. My 1957 4" Python is one of the finest handguns I've ever used. I've shot some pretty impressive scores with it. Others are S&W both large bore and small.

I AM puzzled by one aspect of these conversations: throughout these threads I see repeated references to "want softer recoil" and "what gun is easiest on shoulder" and " I don't like recoil at all."

Then I see guys in here who think they HAVE to have a 44.mag for whatever reason. Someone unfamiliar with handguns will really have an eye-opening experience the first time they touch of a heavy load .44 mag.

Home defense?: Mossbergs youth model 500 in .20 gauge....short 18'1/2" barrel, five rounds of No.4 or a mix of slug-shot and slug shot etc.

If you no like shotgun......357 or 38sp. or 9mm for in your house and easy on you hands shooting.

All this puts me in the mood to go out and nail some Dixie cups at 30 yards with the old Python.

That is all.

Home defense?: Mossbergs youth model 500 in .20 gauge....short 18'1/2" barrel, five rounds of No.4 or a mix of slug-shot and slug shot etc.

If you no like shotgun......357 or 38sp. or 9mm for in your house and easy on you hands shooting.

For those who happen to read "Reacher" 9mm parabellums are the perfect round for home defense...

When you're looking at a home defense weapon, you might want to consider the penetration aspects. The 9mm's, 357's, and anything of the like WILL penetrate through common walls. Most likely more than one. Like through the side of your house AND your neighbors. The object in defending your home is to stop the intruder without harming anyone else, like your neighbor. Shotguns are the ultimate home protection weapon. I wouldn't consider anything larger than a .38 special for in-house use, and a .22 or .22 mag would probably be safer. Unless the intruder is jacked up on drugs, a .22 or a shotgun round in the leg will leave him or her thinking only of a hospital. Be forewarned though, you can only use deadly force if the intruder is displaying a deadly weapon or tactics also.