• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie mistake

harvey lee

Ouch. #1 Yes I made a rookie mistake two years ago of practicing in my room during the off season. Dry fired the bow and it litterly smelled like it was burning.

Took it in, the limbs, cams, and string were fine (very lucky).

I NOW refuse to ever draw a bow without an arrow in it. When I brought my new Mathews to the shop and the 'bow tech' drew it w/o an arrow bare fingered, I cringed hard, and kindly asked him not to do that.

Even if you're drawing indoors, its better to put an arrow through your wall (loss arrow and drywall fix) then potentially destroy your bow.

#2 Four years ago when I just started shooting bows, I was at the range, drew back and my old worthless release gave way right at the hump. Punched myself hard in the jaw, wish i had that on video tape....

Id be interested to see the bill on the cost to fix the problem Harv.

They called today and said the bow is ready.

New cam, string and cable.

The fellow told me that more than likely the string may need replacing but that is ok as it has been on there for 4 years.

Said the cable was also worn so they replaced that too.

Total bill for parts and labor---$145.00. In one of my posts above I figured $150.00 so it was pretty close to my uneducated guess.

Since the string and cable were 4 years old, not too bad.

WOW $145 later that's not bad at all I figured the cam alone would put you close to $100 and the labor would have been a minimum of $75 sounds like you got a great archery shop that takes care of there customers.

Good luck Harvey and don't dry fire it....again wink

mr

Realized on bow opener morning several years ago as we parked the truck to walk to the stands that my release was at home 20+ miles away. My wife brought it to me mid morning. Fortunately the deer I saw on stand that morning weren't in range anyway. I just left my bow in the truck.

Drew my bow on the back garage apron to shoot at a target, must have triggered the release or it failed & happened to have swung the bow just enough so it was pointing at the edge of outside wall of the garage 6" away. Had to get stitches in the ER after the nock went a 1/2" into my hand between my fingers on the bounce back. Dr. hadn't ever had to fix that injury before, go figure.

Drew on a doe in the company of two fawns & a small buck that were quite close to my stand. Realized she was one I had shot the year before that we couldn't find & had assumed had died. The release let go at "the hump" of the draw. Arrow 15' above the deer, bow fell 16' to the ground. Amazingly it was fine. Got down, inspected it, a young of the year woodchuck suddenly was standing there about 20' away. Bow worked fine to stick him. (My cousin shot her a couple weeks later.) Never found that arrow.

Had buck come in 20 yards and was too slow to stop him in open lane. About 5 yards later (now at 25) I had a decent hole to shoot through to get him. Well, the hole was not decent enough.. Or my aim wasn't. Deflected. Missed him clean.

About a month ago, was watching a hunting show (wish I remembered which one) but they discussed about letting the big buck pass and then rattling him back if you don't get a decent shot. Shoot... My situation was during late pre-rut, too.. @!#$@!! I shoulda done that instead of taking such a risky shot. Go ahead, bombs away guys. I could've horribly injured that buck. I still feel terrible about it. Hopefully I run into him this year. He should be at the very least a P&Y or even Booner by now..

Tom, I think you did really well to get that work done and that new hardware for under $150. Could've been much worse! Plus, you were probably due for new string and cables anyway, so it probably turned out pretty good!

It's amazing how many of us there are who have bowhunted long enough to not be rookies anymore, but who still occasionally make rookie mistakes. Even the very best screw up in goofy ways occasionally. I'm not in the "very best" league, so I screw up more than occaionally...

Another one from last night... I am at full draw, target is 40 yards away, I am standing right behind the house, windows open, wife yells out the window that dinner is done, scares the bejeepers out of me and I jump, pull the trigger and the arrow zooms out over the target into the swamp. Good by 10 dollar arrow. Kind of funny thinking about it today....

Knowing your house & yard setup makes it very visual to me. I'm cracking up!

Getting your grunt tube caught in your string on the shot because it swung out as you leaned over shooting at a REALLY close deer makes a guy feel pretty stupid too. I wasted several hours determining if I hit the deer, that I couldn't have missed & then determining I'd only scratched it.

WOW $145 later that's not bad at all I figured the cam alone would put you close to $100 and the labor would have been a minimum of $75 sounds like you got a great archery shop that takes care of there customers.

Good luck Harvey and don't dry fire it....again wink

mr

Cabin fever has always been good to our group. We purchase all of our archery gear there.

great shop, knowledgeable staff and great CS.