• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public Land

JonnyD

Didn't want to make my other topic about public land to lengthy. Just seeing how over hunted public land gets around the metro? If I get out of the metro, lets say 30min-1hour, does most public land have a bunch of guys sitting out in the trees all the time?

Nothing worse that sitting in stand and when day breaks being able to see 2-3 other hunters in surrounding trees.

If any one needs another guy to fill a lease, let me know!!!

I am just guessing because I live a fair distance away from the metro but if you get an hour outside the cities the pressure should ramp down a little. If you can find some large acerage public land and get a good mile back you should have the place to yourself.

I hunt a few parcels south of the metro and very few times I ever run into anyone.

Everyone must think the same thing, that it gets trounced through so what's the point?

Pick a day and a WMA or forest land, go for a walk and you may just be surprised.

Like someone said earlier, try to go where others won't.

Towards the back of the lands, cross some water or look to the smaller ones with some good surroundings of crops.

Alot of other hunters has its pros and cons. I've had plenty of deer pushed to me as other hunters enter or leave the woods. But the bad is that there on the trot and it's tough to get them stopped for a clean shot. This isn't my prefered method but it can work to your advantage when you can't get out of town too far.

For archery hunting you can find places to hunt away from people on public land an hour or two north of the cities.

For firearm hunting you need to be north of Hwy 2 well away from any big cities (Grand Rapids, Duluth) to get away from people.