• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Mercury 150 4-stroke.....sneak peak

Larson15

I have no idea how they cut the weight. Probably very similar to the Yam. SHO. It was reported that the boat that its on ran a tick under 70 at 6100 RPMS at the dealer meeting. Pretty impressive numbers but we will see.

What new technology? No big stuff in 4 strokes in quite a few years, since Variable valve timing and fuel injection. That is 90's stuff.

Do a search on the Yamaha SHO 250HP engine. Not "new" technology, as it has been used in F1 racing for years, but it's new to the outboard world. A 250 horse four stroke that has the same weight as the a 250HP DFI 2 stroke, with midrange that can't be beat.

+1

Alot of new technology in these new 4 stroke outboards compared to the past years. Need to do your research!

Looked up the Yamaha. Not impressed. Variable valve timing been used in cars since 90's. Coated cylinder walls used in Vega. Hope you never have to bore them out.

250 HP out of 4.2 Liters of displacement is no big whoop. Now the Honda CBR1000 with 178 HP at 12000 RPM out of 1 liter is hot stuff.

The big accomplishment by Mercury and Yamaha is getting the weight down. Although a complete CBR1000 with a full tank of gas is only 439 pounds.

Sure. It is a nice motor. They did a good job so far as I know. But some kind of miracle whiz bang new technology it isn't.

Miniaturization and significant weight decreases are probably more impressive feats of engineering than creating the original.

Think what you want, I guess. But this is pretty impressive engineering, especially for an outboard motor.

Now the Honda CBR1000 with 178 HP at 12000 RPM out of 1 liter is hot stuff.

Your right, that is a great accomplishment, and if that made a good outboard Honda would be using it. Crotch rocket motors do not make enough tourque to work as outboards and spin the big props that are used.

The easiest way for them to produce a 410 pound 150 is to start with the 399 pound 115, which looks like a 150 verado without the supercharger. Use standard hop up techniques to make it a 150. (Bore it out, re-do the intake, reprogram the computer, camshaft, pistons, etc. ) No new technology required.

Has it been disclosed what they did? Again, let me repeat. They seem to have done a good job, but I don't see any new technology. Good engineering and design, sure. But new technology?

Maybe you should do the engineering for these outboards?? Call up Merc, Yam, and Honda and see what they say? I guarantee you that all of these ideas you have are a piece of cake in your eyes but I guarantee there are bigger and better reasons for why they have not been done. When considering weight you need to take into consideration all the other weight other than the motor that factors in. This newer technology may have been used along the way for other things outside of the outboard market but to now match 2 stroke weight and power IS IMPRESSIVE.

The suzuki 140 is the same weight. Now, some say that the 140 is really a 130 or 135 but it is a 10 year or so old design.

Didn't you read "hot rod" magazine?

Why are you so sensitive to my thinking that there isn't any kind of breakthrough. Rather merc is admitting that using the supercharged verado to make the 150 was probably a poor choice since it is way too heavy for much of the target market.

Do you have a spec sheet or a writeup of the features of this motor? I am quite interested. The 115 is a detuned, normally aspirated (no supercharger) version of the 150 Verado, near as I can tell from the spec sheet.

I just object to all the hype "new technology". What new technology?

Not sure if we're talking about the same boat but I've read this was tested on an Allison XB2003, That's a 19' 2" Bass Boat. Just the boat weighs about 1048lbs. I imagine add some gas, the motor, the driver and total weight would be apx 1600lbs. It ran 73-75mph. However, keep in mind, this is a high performance bass boat. I don't think it will make anyone's boat run those speeds unless you have a high performance hull.

allison150merc.jpg