• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How the lawns looking with all this rain and heat?

RumRiverRat

Mine is lush and thicker than ever before.

Actually stalled out the mower today mowing, it was a little long, even though I have the mower raised up with the aid of shims.

My backyard has become a Toad and Wood Frog Haven, my dogs are having a blast stalking and trying to eat them.

Not as good as it should. Pure sugar sand for soil. It dries out when the humidity drops. Last few years of dry weather have taken thier toll. Sod webworms moved into spots that dry out. You will NEVER hear me say "Too much rain". I could use an inch a day here. Not sure how much is getting to sink in anyway . We got an inch and an eight today in 20 minutes !! Thinking about getting 16 yards of pulverized black dirt to topdress but then I think of the dog going in and out and all the weed seeds that might be in it. Wish I could get a sprinkler system but there are too many other things I would rather buy instead !!

I was just saying the other day that I can't remember the last summer where all lawns looked so good, so late into the year. Even churches, schools, and places that don't get regular watering are looking great well into August.

I had to go hire 2 more full time guys, we cannot keep up with all of the grass, plus the extra jobs we are getting.

We live in complete sand, and we have yet to have a day where we didn't have puddles in the driveway. We've had standing water in our drive every single day this year. When we used to have sand points, we would have to drive down about 20-25' to get water. This year you can just lick it up while on your hands and knees... grin

Well, our lawn shrinks every year as we continue to build in perennial gardens/beds. That's our goal, to only have about a 20x20 area of lawn in the back yard for lawn chairs for friends to sit around. The rest will be garden.

Wish it was done.

I'm still mowing the frigging lawn once a week, and that's pretty rare up here this time of year. Plenty of rain. At least it keeps the water bill down since we don't have to water the veggies/flowers very often.

Always a silver lining. smile

Considering we haven't had significant rain here in at least a couple weeks, our grass is starting to look real pale. However, it doesn't look near as bad as my next door neighbor's lawn. Even with hot weather and no rain, he insists on having his grass cut every week. I haven't cut mine in 2 1/2 weeks and it doesn't look like I'll be mowing anytime soon. Yippee! Now I just need to take care of the weeds, thistles and dandelions. Any suggestions on pet and bird safe weed killer?

Determined my front is full of rough bluegrass. Slit seeding this september with high quality kentucky bg to hopefully start to rid this nasty brown grass.

I did core aerate/over seed last year and you can see where that seed took and is nice and green (in patches) once the hot/humid hit..dead grass

I am cutting with my rider on highest setting, and cutting twice a week. Totally thick and lush and haven't watered once all year, except some plants. I do have plenty of weeds in my lawn though, haha! But I have female dogs too, so I don't care too much. But it looks awesome, all thick and green. Can't recall last time I fertilized either, I just mulch it all up and seems to be working for me smile It even looks as good or better than neighbors who spend lots of time watering and fussing over theirs. But it ain't no golf course, that's for sure wink