• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North to Alaska...

Roadtrip this summer to/around Alaska. It's a chilly, rainy afternoon in Talkeetna so I thought I'd share a few images. What amazing country!

Mr Moose, Liard River, British Columbia

eee2683e.jpg

somewhere in Canada (Haines Junction maybe?)

68fc3c8c.jpg

our first week in Alaska was spent fishing - red salmon - yummmmmmm!

60d89559.jpg

On the Kenai

eb70c475.jpg

11:45 PM Sunset July 19, 2011

2708dcce.jpg

Fireweed

9ef96db1.jpg

Fishing buddies

9c88b3a8.jpg

Resurrection Bay, Seward

cfdfd8e5.jpg

Stream on the Hatcher Pass Highway

d9c802e8.jpg

That does indeed look like Haines Junction. It is a far cry now from the remote little outpost it used to be. We had a cabin within 75 miles of there and would often use the Junction as a supply post when we did not want to make the big run all the way into Whitehorse.

Now the Junction in summer is a little like Jackson Hole, Aspen, Lahaina, or Coney Island.......every greeny, earth-child, would be mountain man in the world (literally) shows up to "get off on nature, man"! LOL

I mean, there is a small yuppie bakery there now fer cyin' out loud!!

The north country has been over run by sissies. We had to get out. But our beautiful little log cabin will be there for another hundred years or so! Ha!

I am happy you enjoyed your trip. There is no place on earth like the north land!!!

Wonderful photos, enjoy your trip up there. You mentioned you were in Talkeetna, check out the jet boat rides. We made a run up the Talkeetna to Clear Creek and spent an afternoon fishing. The ride is something everyone should experience once in a lifetime! It was pouring rain the day we made our trip as well, didn't dampen the fishing though!

Thanks everyone. It is spectacular up here, everywhere you turn there is another breathtaking view it seems. U-it is indeed Haines Junction, I looked it up after I posted (so many pictures, so many mountains!). That shot was taken from our campground, I need to crop off the sign, etc on the bottom I see.

Dan - not sure we'll get to do any more in Talkeetna this trip, we are leaving today for Denali and will camp there for a few nights at least. Not sure what we'll get to see though. It's still raining........