• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dougy Baseball

Piker

jarrod, What you do not realize is the twins are good every year for a reason. They dont dump their prospects for someone to help them for just a month or two(Restovic for Benson). They need to be very careful not to get rid of to much of their young tallent. When they get real good and we can no longer afford to have them, we have good quality players to bring up to replace them. Or if someone gets hurt(Hunter, Stewart). We have some good cheep players to replace them(Juston M. and Lew Ford.). This will allow us to contend every year. We may not win the AL Central every year, but we will have a chance to. ff

Oh, I understand all that very well. And I agree - to an extent. You don't trade away guys like Mauer, Morneau, or your young pitching like Crain or Durbin. But...when you have excess players at a position - as the Twins do in the outfield - you can afford to trade some to improve your team in other areas.

Behold...Stewart, Jones and Hunter start for the Twins. Lew Ford...who could be an everyday player...is a fourth outfielder. Mike Restovich, who needs a chance to play, is relegated to AAA. He's gonna get passed right up by Jason Kubel, who will probably be the Twins starting right fielder by the middle of next year.

And yeah...the Twins can contend in the Central Division, but another strong starter would give them a chance to go deeper into the playoffs. And when you have a chance to win a championship (World Series, now...not just Central Division), you need to go for it...

Flash King...regarding the player the Twins got back in the trade (pitcher Justin Jones, out of the Cubs System). When I say 'low-level', I am referring only to the fact that he is in Class A ball right now (as opposed to AA or AAA). Don't take that wrong...he has good numbers, and a lot of upside...but he is a couple years away. See my post in the 'Trade Talk' thread about Justin Jones.

Good points, the prospects that the Twins pick up in these deal eventually become their starters but as someone pointed out, they have a big excess of outfielders. Why not go for it now - trade Doug M. and Restovich and another prospect for Randy Johnson. With a rotation of Radke, Santana, and Johnson, you have a good chance of winning 2 out of 3 against the Yanks. Can you say that about Radke, Santana, and Lohse? If you Radke or Santana have a bad game, you're done. The way the Twins are configured now, they'll win the Central going away, but get bounced in the playoffs.

I think we will more likely see Baker or Durbin called up before you will see us pick anyone off of waivers. You guys are right though, it would have been **** nice to get a decent 3rd starter to add for the playoff run. With three reliable pitchers and the way the twins are playing right now they would have been very hard to beat in a playoff series.

Any Pitcher we pick up would be better than Kyle Lohse. Lets face reality this guy is terrible, he'd be the 5th starter in Kansas City even. The sooner he and Romero (dont get me started) are gone the better the twins will be. I get sick to my stomach when either of these 2 are on the mound.

Their top three starters are Radke, Santana, and Silva (he of the shutout last night). That will probably be their post-season rotation. Lohse is #4, and will probably be in the pen for the playoffs.