• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor on Transom saver would not stay straight????

Ice_Fishin07

I installed a new transom saver on my trailer and everything works good as far as transom saver goes its installed right. When I trailer the motor turns after few miles, thats just peeing me off. Couple of my buddies have same transom saver and they do not do anything different but their motors stay straight. What can do to fix the issue?? I have 115 HP motor and my steering is not hydraulic.

Thanks.

Could you post a picture so we have a better idea trying to diagnose the problem. With my transon saver the motor is rock solid. However, I have a 30 HP motor. Maybe something is different with the bigger motors.

Transom savers go from the trailer to the bottom of the motor. There is nothing preventing the motor from turning. The only thing that will prevent your motor from turning is to lock your steering wheel, or secure the motor so it is not able to rotate. The transom saver simply takes pressure off the transom and is in no way shape or form meant to keep you motor from turning.

That is unless you've got some crazy transom saver that i haven't seen yet.

I've got a tiller on my boat, and i have the steering very tight (I.e. not easy to turn) I do this becasue i like to run my motor and use my trolling motor to steer, and my motor will never move. This also keeps it from turning when trailered..

Tie straps to the motor to prevent it from moving, or lock your steering wheel if possible.

This is what i think of when you say transom saver.

full-26433-10538-imagescabw0as8.jpg

Transom savers go from the trailer to the bottom of the motor. There is nothing preventing the motor from turning. The only thing that will prevent your motor from turning is to lock your steering wheel, or secure the motor so it is not able to rotate. The transom saver simply takes pressure off the transom and is in no way shape or form meant to keep you motor from turning.

That is unless you've got some crazy transom saver that i haven't seen yet.

I've got a tiller on my boat, and i have the steering very tight (I.e. not easy to turn) I do this becasue i like to run my motor and use my trolling motor to steer, and my motor will never move. This also keeps it from turning when trailered..

Tie straps to the motor to prevent it from moving, or lock your steering wheel if possible.

This is what i think of when you say transom saver.

full-26433-10538-imagescabw0as8.jpg

That is what mine looks like but what I do instead is put the bungee above the cavitation plate instead of below. My motor does not move when it's hooked on the transom saver.

My guess is that your buddies have "no feedback" steering and you don't (it's got nothing to do with hydraulic steering). With "no feedback" steering you can turn the motor with the steering wheel but not vice-versa. Can you turn the steering wheel by pushing on the motor ?

Make some spacers out of pvc pipe to put between the motor and the stops on the steering cable assemby. Cut the pipe to proper length and cut a slit the lenth of the pipe to fit around the assembly.

+1 to the bungy on steering wheel.

BUT i'm going to try Superduty's PVC trick. Sounds slick- thanks!!!! Then I wouldn't have to climb back in the boat to attach it after driving it on and pulling out.

Do you have your transom saver extended far enough so the weight of the motor is on it. Once the motor falls down in that "V" the four rubber cushions should keep it from turning. The only pivot points are on those two short arms and they're just to adjust the cushions to the shape of the lower unit. I've got a 90hp Yamaha and it will turn the motor straight when it slides down into the transom saver. I've never even used a bungy, never had the motor bounce out.