• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moorhead Hockey Press Conference?

solbes

Looks like Moorhead is hosting a press conference today at 1pm regarding hockey. Doesn't seem like you'd hold a press conference to say you are exploring going D1 in hockey, although I suppose it could be just that uneventful.

Announcement link

"MOORHEAD – Minnesota State Moorhead is hosting a press conference at 1 p.m. Friday for an update on its exploration of NCAA Division I hockey.

MSUM President Edna Szymanski along with Vice President of Finance and Administration Jan Mahoney and Athletics Director Doug Peters will take part in a press conference.

Peters was unavailable for comment."

Wow. They didn't waste any time. This is the direction I like to see in college hockey. Assuming the announcement is about starting a hockey program in the Fargo-Moorehead area. Its a good decision. There's definatly a market there.

Wow. They didn't waste any time. This is the direction I like to see in college hockey. Assuming the announcement is about starting a hockey program in the Fargo-Moorehead area. Its a good decision. There's definatly a market there.

CBrooks, do you think MSU adding hockey will ding UND's attendance? There's a lot of headlights heading south on I-29 after a Sioux game. Or are most UND fans from Fargo UND alumni? Maybe it would hurt the Force more than UND?

I think MSU's timing is right. I think, in theory, they're set up to be a decent regional WCHA team - like BSU, SCSU, Mankato. However, it is Moorehead and they haven't exactly been to accomplish much in NSIC athletics.

IMO Shore, I don't think MSU will take away fans from UND much. I think alot of the fanbase is alumni from the UND. Yeah, I'm not too threaten about Moorehead taking fans from us. I do think they will hurt the Fargo Force USHL team. Which has me thinking does the Force own Scheels arena or is it the city of Fargo. I suppose the details will come out in the announcement later on today. Shore, whats your take on MSU? I expect alot of new college hockey fans down in Fargo when this happens.

IMO Shore, I don't think MSU will take away fans from UND much. I think alot of the fanbase is alumni from the UND. Yeah, I'm not too threaten about Moorehead taking fans from us. I do think they will hurt the Fargo Force USHL team. Which has me thinking does the Force own Scheels arena or is it the city of Fargo. I suppose the details will come out in the announcement later on today. Shore, whats your take on MSU? I expect alot of new college hockey fans down in Fargo when this happens.

Well . . . when I think of Moorehead, I think of two things . . . partying in Moorhead/MSU by a little house north of the old Shaky's back in the 80's . . . and bad NSIC sports.

I hope they do field a program, but I think it will be an up-hill battle. 1) Coaching: need a coach with solid ties to Canada and northern MN/Twin Cities. 2) Recruiting: going head-to-head against SCSU, BSU, Mankato - and maybe UMD and sometimes UND for recruits. 3) Zero hockey history. BSU was D3, D2, but had a great hockey tradition. MSU has none. 4) Rink: FM has a nice rink, but is VERY off campus. 5) On the plus side, Moorehead bleeds hockey talent. Maybe MSU gets a few of the Gopher and UND "rejects" who opt to stay in the FM area instead of going to Bemidji, Mankato, etc.

MSU's first coaching hires will be MONUMENTAL on the program's success.

Excellent post Shore. I'm sure BSU's D2 titles helped them make the jump to D1. Also agree that the Spuds put out some great players, but they will have to compete for recruits with the already established programs. Growing MN/ND college hockey is great though.

Great news if they add. I would like to St Thomas also go D1,this would give the WCHA a Twin Cities team and would help keep the WCHA in local media. St Thomas has the money and probably could build a rink on campus.

I hope this goes through!! There are a lot of other schools that has a lot of talent that never get looked at ie Detroit Lakes has two incoming seniors in Brekke and Mason that would probably never get a chance but if moorhead had a program you never know!! TRF, Alex, Park Rapids, Crookston, Fergus Falls have all had kids in the last few years that I thought could play D1 hockey!! Lots of untouched talent on the ND side as well, this will be great for NW Minnesota!! Go Dragons

Excellent post Shore. I think you size it up perfect there.

I've been hearing a few people on this site say St Thomas should go D1. Any serious talks going on there. I wander if any other colleges will seize this opportunity.

This is a good thing but I agree with Shorelunch, they will have an uphill battle for sure.

I also think St. Thomas should jump up but I have no idea if they are thinking about this or if it's just hockey fans talking about it.

Its an uphill batte that's foresure. I think moorehead could steel a rec,ruit ot too from und. I don't see them taking any fans tho. That town was all maroon and gold when I was there for hockey day. I was worried it would be a bunch of stinking sioux fans. They've got that nice rink to play in but off campus sucks.

I think st thomas is going d 1 too. They got plenty of doe.

I don't want to start rumors, but who's gonna be the coach.

I really hope it isn't carey eades, I am up at my cabin in dl 30 minutes away and I already heard his name. I don't think I could like the msu team with him there.

John hill

Dean blais, maybe he wants to come back to town.

Rohlik

It will be fun to keep an eye on this.

Boy . . . dandy press conference Moorehead. Let's see, two years ago, you brought up going D1 hky, and now you're 40% there. Maybe by 2015, they'll be a 65%.

What are they going to say in three months? We're "really super serious" about starting hockey?

I like what they did at the press conference with being honest on how much more they need to raise instead of saying that they are for sure getting a program and then they can't follow through with that promise!! Now everybody knows that they will do everything in their power to get the rest of this money to get hockey here by 2013-2014!! You would think that NDSU would have jumped at the chance to get in on this! But either way if this comes to fruition it is good for college hockey I believe and the F/M area!!

I like what they did at the press conference with being honest on how much more they need to raise instead of saying that they are for sure getting a program and then they can't follow through with that promise!! Now everybody knows that they will do everything in their power to get the rest of this money to get hockey here by 2013-2014!! You would think that NDSU would have jumped at the chance to get in on this! But either way if this comes to fruition it is good for college hockey I believe and the F/M area!!

I think the direction and steps Moorehead is taking is fine, but calling a press conference was over the top.

You would think that NDSU would have jumped at the chance to get in on this!

I would like to see NDSU get a team too but they would probably want to be in the "Super Conference" so UND could pound on them.

How's Dunwoody coming on adding their pail of water to D1 hockey?

Come on Bryce, are you serious? I got why you didn't like the WCHA expansion a couple years ago when UND was in the conference. In light of what has happen lately with the conference shake up. Why wouldn't you like to see Moorehead with a team?

What's funny is there are more D3 schools (athletic programs) that play D1 hockey that D1 schools (athletic programs) that play D1 hockey. So I wouldn't bad mouth MSU,SCSU,BSU and now Moorhead if they start up.

Adding more teams waters down a niche sport decreasing the the chances of non-fan appeal. Hence the referrance to the pail of water. Dunwoody has just a good of a chance of being consistently competitive at the D1 level as any of the teams mentioned above