• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Out of commission!

leech~~

Well I found out that my top piston in my 95 Force 90hp was down to about 68lbs of compression and is going to need a rebuild. cry 2-3 weeks and $3,500 bucks to get back in the game! Can't really swing a new one at $8-10,000. She has ran perfect up to last weekend when it was getting hard to start it. I thought carb rebuild maybe? NOPE! sick

I feel your pain. I went with out my boat for 2 weeks and I thought I was going crazy. I hope you get back in action very soon.

Look around there are lots of used motors for sale these days. I know buying a new one hurts the old pocket book.

You might look around to see what other options you have as far as a used motor (that still has parts available) for $3,500. That just seems like a lot of money to me to put into a motor that might have a (different) fatal problem that you can't find parts for.

Boy does it pay to shop around. I had low compression on my 98 johnson 115 and local shop wanted to put a powerhead in it for 2800. Stated it was not worth their time to rebuild. I went and got a 2nd opinion and it had a broken piston ring. I got it rebuilt with new pistons rings, and related parts for $900. Runs great for over a year now.

I pretty much checked with ever boat place up in Brainard last weekend and no one had any old, rebuilt or up grade trade in's on hand! My wife actually said maybe we should get a new one! grin I said great there $8 to $10 grand! She said oh um, shocked maybe we should get it rebuilt! Oh so close on that one! laugh

I pretty much checked with ever boat place up in Brainard last weekend and no one had any old, rebuilt or up grade trade in's on hand! My wife actually said maybe we should get a new one! grinI said great there $8 to $10 grand! She said oh um, shocked maybe we should get it rebuilt! Oh so close on that one! laugh

That's what you get for opening your big mouth! Next time, just open your wallet. grin

I didn't check your location. I tend to forget that not everyone who posts is in the twin cities metro. Still, you might fire up the rival classified site and see what you find. There are some decent deals out there to be had.

That's what you get for opening your big mouth! Next time, just open your wallet. grin

I didn't check your location. I tend to forget that not everyone who posts is in the twin cities metro. Still, you might fire up the rival classified site and see what you find. There are some decent deals out there to be had.

Lol, ya well you have to pick your battles! My new one is a new long track sled with elc start "because im getting so old you know Honey" grin I am in the metro but have a camper up in Brainard where my boat is. And I have checked the classified site for motors but not to many good large HP ones listed on there. Plus you never really know what your going to get. confused

Leech I beleave we are on the same lake near nisswa. I think I can help you out call 320-292 3693

Thanks Ice, I'll give you a call this evening. But I do have my boat over at Roach's L/M right now getting worked on. I am over on Edwards.

I pretty much checked with ever boat place up in Brainard last weekend and no one had any old, rebuilt or up grade trade in's on hand! My wife actually said maybe we should get a new one! grin I said great there $8 to $10 grand! She said oh um, shocked maybe we should get it rebuilt! Oh so close on that one! laugh
leech, I have a connection to a guy that can supply you with a rebuilt 90 Evinrude with a warranty. Price would be about $2000-2500 installed.

leech, I have a connection to a guy that can supply you with a rebuilt 90 Evinrude with a warranty. Price would be about $2000-2500 installed.

What year motor is it? It maybe to late however as the guy was going to start the rebuild this week. Even if he hasn't he would charge me for his inspection and storage time since last weekend i'm sure. frown

If you are handy and want a cheap, temporary solution, maybe I can help you out.

I'm getting a new rig very soon and have an 87 Bluefin with an 85hp Force on it. I bought a brand new trailer for it about 10 years ago and want to keep it.

The motor is an 87 and has lost it's giddyup, but starts reliably and still pushes the tub around fairly well. I'd be glad to let the boat and motor go for something south of a grand.

What year motor is it? It maybe to late however as the guy was going to start the rebuild this week. Even if he hasn't he would charge me for his inspection and storage time since last weekend i'm sure. frown

he just got back to me and said he would sell a rebuilt 90 or100 V-4 for $2900 with a warranty.

There is no specific year, it may be have an 82 powerhead and a 87 lower unit. Generally speaking this motors were all very similar from the mid seventies to the mid nineties. If I had to put a year on it, I would say an 85.

I'm having my 1982 90 V4 rebuilt right now. I'd sell you that for $2400, but I can't install or warranty it.

I'd much rather have a mid 80's 90hp OMC warrantied for $2900 than the Force for $3500. Yeah the OMC is a bit older but from everything I've gathered the OMC is twice the motor for less cost upfront.

Of course I may be biased - I had my 1989 90 Johnson rebuilt 3 years ago for $2200 by an OMC master mechanic in the north metro area.

Thanks guys for the offers but I'm not sure that I want to go older then what I have already even if it is a Force. The 95 Force was the first year Merc really started to change them over and it does have the Merc all lower unit and Thunderbolt Ign in it. I will be going up Friday to see where they are at with the process but I think he may have it tore down by now.

Thanks guys for the offers but I'm not sure that I want to go older then what I have already even if it is a Force. The 95 Force was the first year Merc really started to change them over and it does have the Merc all lower unit and Thunderbolt Ign in it. I will be going up Friday to see where they are at with the process but I think he may have it tore down by now.

Yeah, the merc/force stuff is a lot better.

My deal is better wink but I understand you wanting the newer motor.

Just curious, does the rebuild motor warrantied?

She is in the shop now and the parts are ordered. Suppose to be done later this week. I sure hate the thought of trying out a new rebuild in 100 degree weather and 80 degree water! shocked May just have to take it slow for a few runs.