• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you recommend?

Lunker

So I did pretty well last year for walters, but have not targeted them for more than a few years. Also, I want to try this new lake, but what should I target? Heres what I see as my chioces(i'll be fishing evening):

Gradual drop off(flat) along shoreline goes from 0-20 takes about 100 yds or more. Did really well here on opener. Soft bottom. only such feature in the lake. Weedline at about 6-8ft.

Large round point. Only point on the lake, is rounded, but has fairly steep dropoffs on all sides. No holes or major depth changes around it. Could fish anywhere form about 0-30 ft.

Two shallow bays that open up into the main lake. Gradual depth change here. Again, soft bottom.

The rest of the lake gets pretty deep (over 40) but doesn't have much for reefs or holes. Whatdya think?

Any vegetation on or near the rounded point? Is there an inside turn at all with the point? Check the base of the gradual drop off and see if its a transition area. If you have soft bottom starting at the base, then most likely you will see a change of bottom type. Fish will use that base as a migration route and you can punch holes over the breakline to follow roaming fish. Fish might then rise as dusk appraoches both here and on the point. How's the water clarity?

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

I would take a look at that gradual drop (flat) area, especially since you did well there on Opener. I've often found the spots that produce during the early open water will also shine during early ice. I bet those wally's come up on that flat for an evening snack. Meanwhile, you should be hunkered down in 9-12' with a jigging spoon on one rod and a deadstick or bobber rig w/ minnow on the other.

Is there any "saddle" like areas in the lake? if there is I would try them first. Or just look for schools of crappies suspended over deep water and see if they are feeding on them. I found out on this lake that I fish the eyes and pike follow around schools of crappies and feed off of them. Caught some really nice eyes too! Average size of 19" and one went 29"! Lots of fun.
Otherwise I would try the edge weedlines in the bays around early ice and then later towards the middle of the season go to the center of that one point and poke a few holes and you should be able to catch a few there. Im guessing the better times will be in low-light periods at the shallower deepths like the weedline to 15' or near any transition zone. And you might catch some gators at that point too, near the edge of the weedline in 8' of water.

------------------
Fish ON!

With no inside turn, you will see walleyes sliding up the point from the tip, direct on or slightly to the side. Punch holes in deeper water off the tip of the point and slightly to the sides. Also punch holes over the point and off the breaks. Place a tip-up on top of the point or off the breaks and jig the deeper water hopping from hole to hole. Make sure to punch a lot of holes, enough so that once dusk approaches you won't have to punch anymore. Once you get a strike, relocate to the area where the strike occurred. If you're first strike is in deeper water, then the fish are moving in and they will soon relate to the breaks and up on the point to feed.

The edges of the weedline is another place to hit for earlt ice walleyes. Walleyes will literally roam the weedline in search of food and often times you have a transition area where the edge of the weedline is, changing from weeds to sand/mud. Find the edge of the weedline and punch holes along it. Also, if the gradual drop is off the weedline then that might be a good bet for an evening bite. The walleyes will rise up the breaks towards the weeds and feed on forage in the open water and near the weeds.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Lunker - You said a round point smile.gif is that an oxy moron or do you mean a round hump or sunken island with steep drops on all sides?

I am confused at what you are actually referring to.

I always preffered the steeper breaks on the tip of the point rather than gradual sloping ones. My permananent 8X10 (now in retirement) was always placed on the break. One end of the house was in 7 feet of water, the other end was in 5. Tips up were placed out in the 10 foot (bottom of break) and another right on top of the break at 3 feet deep. Yep - foot and half of ice, so there was only foot and half of space for fish to swim in smile.gif

This was all evening fishing with most of the fish caught in the house, but could always tell when they were moving in because the tip up on the bottom of the break usually was hit first, then inside the house, and then throughout the night 10 PM to 2 AM, the tip up on top of the break was getting hit. Those strike sensors work great smile.gif

Round point!, didnt even realize I said that. I Meant that is is like a point jutting out into the lake, but the end is rounded, so there is actually no true point I guess, but same basic thing.