• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Second year bowhunter, looking to team up...

I've hunted rifle for many years, went bow hunting last year and had decent success but found that hunting alone, on state land is a challenge.

The chance at a big buck on state land means that I need to go in deep - to get away from people, other hunters etc. I go alone, I have a huge problem getting the deer out.

In a nutshell, I am looking to team up with someone to collaborate with in recon, set up and drive up/gas share when it makes sense and if we do our jobs, help each other pull the deer out. I live in the cities and like to head north. I have a place where we can stay during season in Pine City MN if that helps.

If you are interested in discussing further, please let me know!

I already live up north but if you can't find anyone to team up with you might want to look into a game cart. They don't really work everywhere but they can sure cut down on the dragging.

quarter and backpack it out. there is alot of weight in bones on a big dear. with enought rope and some planning it would be more walking but less labor intensive. i know some state land is misserable walking so i dont see a game cart working. where is pine city?

quarter and backpack it out.

I realize this was only part of your original post, but regarding this part, Pooh is spot on. Do a search on "gutless method" of field dressing animals, get a couple Alaskan Game Bags, and use a pack that can carry a load (lots of external frame packs that'll do the job and plenty of internal frame packs that'll work too). IMO, this method is far superior to using a cart or dragging an animal any distance over a couple hundred yards.

If you want more info on packs that can serve this purpose, PM me and I'll give you all kinds of useful info.

Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies. I have been away and very happy to read all your comments.

I was reading the regs after having been informed of the legality of quartering and will definitely do that this year if required. I was not aware that you could do this until late last year.

Another great improvement is the ability to dial in via phone for registration. Perfect excuse to buy that sat phone I've always wanted.

I have a military backpack and will check it to see if I can take the frame off and just use it and some gamebags/rope. I just hope I can get that huge rack through the woods wink

I use my old military mountain ruck and just put the game bags inside the main compartment. The game bags, knife, etc go in the small rear pouches and are always ready to go.

Right now it is loaded with a full ten pound propane cylinder and a case of water in preparation for fall.