• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The best place to Start for wallys

LOWinEYEin

During the day focus on deep edges. Deep is a relative term based on the the lake you're fishing. As evening approaches the fish will move shallow. You'll find then on flats or places they can push baitfish against a ledge/shoreline.

During the day it's hard to beat a redtail on a jig or livebait rig. I like to tail hook them and when they really struggle get ready.

The evening bite will find me pulling cranks up shallow.

------------------
I bad day of fishing??? I honestly don't know what you're talking about!

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 10-14-2003).]

Thanks borch,
I tried last night all I got was some big Crappies at about 20-25ft, and little craps at 10-15ft. jiggin with minnow. Does it sound like I'm doing it right? plain jig tipped with a minnow? you don't have much time, unless you want to fish in the dark.

You're doing it right if you're catchin' craps. I would check different areas in that deeper range, don't be affraid of checking 30-40ft. The crappies might be over mud and when you find a transition between soft and hard bottom, you'll find eyes.

A hard bottom will have a thick line and a soft bottom will have a thin line. The reason is a soft bottom absorbs some of the signal, only sending some of it back thus the thin line. A hard bottom reflects more signal creating a thick line. So get out and look for that thick lined bottom and catch some eyes.

Get out whenever you can. Like I said these fish will move up shallow in the evening and into the night. Pulling rapalas, rattlin rogues or other minnow baits will usually produce. Don't count out the shallow water after it gets dark. Fish will often be in less than 3 feet of water. But spend time anywhere from 1-10 ft depending on the structure fished.

Otherwise a lively redtail, river chub or shiner on a jig or livebait rig will do the job during daylight hours. I love to tail hook them for a minnow to struggle against the weigt more. Usually you'll feel the minnow going nuts before the fish inhales it.

------------------
I bad day of fishing??? I honestly don't know what you're talking about!

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 10-16-2003).]