• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.44 revolver for hunting?

I am looking at buying a .44mag for target and hunting. Right now I have been looking at the 7.5" Ruger super redhawk. Any other recomendations? I havn't seen a 9.5" I looked at the S&W but just liked the looks and feel of the Ruger better and what I have told is stouter built. Anyone who has one have any advice?

i own a S&W .44 mag 629 with a 6'' barrel! its a truly superb gun! feels great in the hand, is a great size to holster for hunting....

i know because my buddy has the 8+inch barrel for the Ruger like you're looking at....

while its sweet looking, its neither practical nor easy to carry/draw in a hunting scenario.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I own a Super Redhawk Alaskan, and a Blackhawk. I like shooting the Blackhawk more because the grip isn't quite as big. If I was going to buy a double-action revolver right now, it'd be a Redhawk (not Super) with a 4-6" barrel. I'd just go handle them and see what pointed easier for me.

The Ruger in Redhawk, Super Redhawk, or Blackhawk would all work well. I've also heard that the Taurus revolvers are pretty good (basically a Smith clone) and Smith and Wesson as well, but I don't have any experience with those.

You might also look for a Ruger with a Bisley grip. It's a slightly different profile. One of the guys I work with has one, and absolutely loves it.

If you're looking at potentially shooting very heavy loads, go look at them those loads in a store and see what firearms they caution against. I know that Buffalo Bore does not like Smith and Wesson revolvers. (I think that the cylinders are too short for the biggest loads, but I'm not 100% sure.) If you want to mount a scope, that'll probably be easier if you buy a gun that doesn't have to be drilled and tapped, regardless of manufacturer.

I've been shooting a Super Redhawk 7.5" with an Aimdot redot for the last 10 years. Shot 5 deer all under 75 yards and all one shot kills. I hand load using 240g Hornady XTP's. I use a cross carry holster and it is easy to use and nicely balanced with a hunting coat. Very happy with my set up.