• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer/rabbit reppellent

hockeybc69

I had this question in a different section, so sorry for reposting again. laugh

Anyone have a sure fire product you have bought to keep critters out of a garden?

Any homemade recipes? I did a google on homemade deer repellent and came up with some interesting ideas.

I posted "liquid fence" in your other thread, and I do swear by this product. I found I needed to hit the plants with it more initially, to get the critters accustomed to staying away, then after a month or so, I was able to back off from frequent applications. It has been the only thing I have used, and it has solved my problem.

I use a product called plant skyd, I spray the small apple trees and it definately keeps the deer away. When you apply the product you will know why. If by chance you get some of the spray on your clothes you will need a shower and some laundry done. Worst smelling stuff I have ever used. I was losing small apple trees until I started using it. I found it at a local garden/nursery store. I also fertilize the garden with Milorganite and have found it helps keep the bunnies away.

Hey Goblue,

I am not putting an 8 ft fence around my garden to keep deer out... LOL

Keep pushing the fence idea all you want. If you didnt know, a deer can jump pretty high with no effort. laugh

Dogs? Yep, I have 2 labs, but I dont leave them outside to gaurd the garden overnight.

I am looking for some more solid and frequent responses to this liquid fence for sure. People said it didnt work for them too.....

Out here in rural Buffalo, deer are always a problem with shrubs and trees. In fact, they reliably eat everything that I plant until it is about 5’ off of the ground. Over the last few years I have triad some of the commercial sprays with little success.

A couple of years ago, I did some research online and found a study done by the University of Minnesota where they tested various commercial sprays, the bag of hair trick, predator urine, and others, along with a control group of untreated trees. The trees were young apples and the test period was fall through spring. All of the sprays had various levels of effect, the hair and urine had some effect, but overall only one repellent stood out as being significantly better than the rest. Surprisingly the best repellent was Dial deodorant soap, mixed with water and sprayed on the trees. I tried this here and the trees that I have treated have sot suffered any browsing damage in any season. I just open a bar and rub it on the tree trunks, or grate it up (like cheese) and sprinkle it on the ground. Give it a try, it works!