• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiggin' for walleyes

Its going to vary by trial and error. The best thing to remember is not to over jig. Some fish will actually get spooked from your jigging motion. There really isn't a specific pattern. I like to let it pound into the bottom and kick up some dust. Its important to jig with your wrist and not your arm. The bite will vary from lake to lake and from day to day. The best way to learn the perfect technique is to fish as muc has you can and try different patterns. If you see a fish on your flasher, if your using one, stop jigging it and let him whack it. The biggest mistake my clients make is not letting the fish take the bait. They think they have to jig it until it hits. 95% of the Walleyes i catch in the winter come when i stop the bait seconds before i think he's going to strike.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

I am fairly new to walleye fishing through the ice and just wondering if I could get some advice.
When you are jigging with spoons or jigs, what is the normal jigging pattern you employ. My usual jigging technique is raising it about a foot or so and let it fall and sit. Is there more to is than this. Just wondering and appreciate any help.
Thanks,
a

How to jig. Reminds me of the first time I took my wife walleye fishing. I was trying to explain how I jig and finally told her what ever you are doing when you get a bite, do the same exact thing the next time. She outfished be in a big way that day repeating a figure she was drawing with her rod tip, in the air. I didn't look pretty to me, but the fish sure seemed to like it.

krt, that reminds me of my wife this past June. We fished a lake up by Park Rapids and we were trolling crawlers. I told her the standard method to give them line when she gets a hit and then tighten up, feelem and set the hook. She didn't listen and would set the hook as soon as she felt them pick it up. After she boated 5 eyes the biggest being 5lbs she didn't want to listen to me being I hadn't had a fish or a bite. She does this all the time and it drives me nuts. I guess it comes down to being open to trying different things when the conventional methods are not working.

I have had my best luck this year by varying the jigging a bit. I jig it up a foot and let it fall to within 6 inches of the bottom a few times then jig it about 3 inches up and to the same depth a few times then jig ti up a foot again and let it settle to the bottom a few times and the kinda repeat the whole process.

Jigging is real interesting if you have a camera. Watch how fish react to different methods of jiggin'. I watched a fishing show(can't remember which one) but learned a technique where all you do is hold your rod as lightly as you can and tap your pinky against the butt of the rod. Watching this....your bait looks like it's almost dead but just twitchin'. Easy pickings. This works great if the fish are very neutral.