• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MY Wedge...

bigstick56

Any one use the universal my-wedge? I have a 115 Optimax and was thinking about this for a transome saver replacement. I have seen the original one in use and looks good, just want to hear some info on the one that just slides onto your hydralic cylinder. Thanks for any info...

I have used it for several years on my 90 Yamaha with no problems. I like the fact it is small enough to fit into the splashwell so I always have it with me and will never have to remember where I put it. Very Durable as well.

Been using one on my 150 opti for 3 years and have no complaints, like fasternu mentioned, you never have to worry about where it is, don't have to go put it in the truck, and I think it does just fine holding the motor. The steering stops they sell are nice too (I made my own becuase I didn't know I could buy them) but it's nice to know your motor isn't bouncing side to side when you're cruising down the road.

They do Zero as a transom saver. All they are is insurance that you motor won't tilt down. A transom saver is the way to go.

Correct, what the do is take pressure off of the tilt hydraulics, but not take the pressure off of the transom. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish if it's the right tool or not.

My $.02 . I've seen where the motor would bounce( slightly) and flex the transon when going over some bumps when using a wedge. To me this is still stressing the transom, where using a bracket, "although some what of a hassel" keeps everything solid. I'll stay with a motor totor. smile

Correct, what the do is take pressure off of the tilt hydraulics, but not take the pressure off of the transom.

Incorrect. They do take pressure off the transom and perform the same function as a typical transom saver...it just does it differently but people have a difficult time understanding it.

Incorrect. They do take pressure off the transom and perform the same function as a typical transom saver...it just does it differently but people have a difficult time understanding it.

Great, please explain then... As I am confused as to how this would take the weight off the transom.

Yes, please explain it to us dumb folks how they work. Without a link to another part of the boat/trailer how does it remove weight and/or stress from the transom? My brother in law has one and he said it was a transom saver too until I started putting pressure on the lower unit and he started to freak out that I was going to break something.

Couple tidbits from their own advertising info ....

Quote:
The technology is fiendishly simple. Constructed from EPDM rubber and high-tech plastic, it simply fits over the outboard’s trim & tilt piston. When the motor meets the rubber as it’s tilted down, it self-centers to form a cushioned stable platform that seals on both ends for safe, dependable trailering at the correct height and eliminates “trailer shock”.

That doesn't even mention the transom ----- it sounds more like it's protecting the trim / tilt system. And they say it puts the motor in the proper postition for trailering, but I think they're tilting the outboard more than it should be.

Quote:
Thanks to advances in boat-building technology over the last decade, modern transoms are created to withstand torque. That’s why the wedge is so long overdue

This sure makes it sound like it takes advantage of the transom, not like it protects the transom.

FWIW, I'll stay with my tried and true transom savers. I see no benefit from the wedge.

[Please read forum policy before posting again, thank you] No load is taken off the transom. It is the same as locking the motor up or shoving a block of wood in the midsection. Takes zero load off the transom

Please Lmit, enlighten us in the magic powers of the Wedge. Surely someone like myself who deals with re-engineering components and making them last longer needs to know this amazing feat that defies physics.

It may prevent the motor from bouncing slightly, but it isn't removing the 100+ pounds of weight in the lower unit that is hanging in the air like a pendulum.

Try this experiment- Stand in a doorway, first put one hand onto the door nearest the handle and have someone on the other side try and close the door. How much effort did it take to keep the door in position? Now, try it again except this time use both hands and place them in the gap of the door by the hinges. Were you strong enough to keep that door open, or do your hands hurt now? Maybe you're thinking you shoulda bought a transom saver? winkgrin

SAME EXACT CONCEPT!

Perchjerker - There are multiple mentions of a M-Y Wedge being used as an alternative to a transom saver on their HSOforum, it's even in the title or subject line of their web page.

-----------------------------------------------------

When I bought my boat they gave me a M-Y Wedge and I had my doubts just like everyone else, figuring that I would swap it out with a "typical" transom saver when I got home. After clearing my mind and thinking about it, it was apparent that it really performs the exact same function as your "typical" transom saver but just in a different fashion. There is more than one way to skin a cat, they say. wink

First of all we need to understand the function or reason for a transom saver. Is it to remove pressure on the transom? Nope. Is it to prevent shock to the transom? Yep.

The pressure or weight of the motor is on the transom at all times. The force we are trying to prevent from happening is the shock or jolt from the motor bouncing while the boat is being trailered down the road. A transom saver does nothing for a boat that is motionless. Nothing. And pushing down on the lower unit proves no point whatsoever.

In theory if the roads were as smooth as glass we wouldn't need transom savers. The transom of a boat is more than strong enough to hold a stationary motor in the tilted position whether heading down that glass-smooth road or parked in the garage. However, as we are all well aware of, the roads are not smooth and this causes our outboards to bounce as we travel down the road if not secured.

If you look at the design of the M-Y Wedge it does exactly what we are looking for in that it stops the motor from bouncing and bucking uncontrollably when heading down the road...bouncing that creates the extra pressure or shock loading over and above the normal engine weight on the transom which is precisely what we are trying to avoid.

With that said, I opted not to use the M-Y Wedge simply because I have a tiller and it would always flop over to one side or the other when going down the road, even with the steering tensioner tightened down. I already had a "typical" transom saver so it was no big deal, but if I had a console boat I would have no hesitation in using the Wedge in transom-saving duties.

*flame suit on*

LS000710_man_in_fire_suit-438c3606d5c0d-

smile

Perchjerker - There are multiple mentions of a M-Y Wedge being used as an alternative to a transom saver on their HSOforum, it's even in the title or subject line of their web page.

Yes, they like to say it's a transom saver. But just because they throw the words "transom saver" out there a few times in their advertising material doesn't do anything for me. The only time they ever elaborate on how or why they think it's a transom saver is when they say "Thanks to advances in boat-building technology over the last decade, modern transoms are created to withstand torque. That’s why the m-ywedge™ is so long overdue."

For my money, this thing does nothing in addition to what an outboard's trim/tilt already does --- and does not protect the transom.

For my money, this thing does nothing in addition to what an outboard's trim/tilt already does --- and does not protect the transom.

I don't think that's exactly true because if you snug the engine down against the Wedge, just as you do with a typical TS, it won't move up and down. This isn't the case if only the trim/tilt is there.

The main thing to remember here is that we're trying to prevent the dynamic load to the transom from the engine hopping up and down. Correct? If we agree to that then logically the Wedge prevents that load just like a typical TS.

Besides the things are way over priced.

Now the above quote I will agree with.

But back to the weight issue. The transom saver does very little to take the weight off the transom. As you lower the motor onto your transom saver, the hydraulics of your motor is still holding the weight of your motor. If you do not have a tilt and trim unit then the entire weight of the motor is now on the transom saver. The traditional transom saver will stop the motor from bouncing but so will the wedge.

If you take off your transom saver, your motor ( if equipped with tilt and trim ) will still hang there supported by the motors hydraulics. I am not supporting one over the other just stating the obvious.

Mike

It depends on the boat. There are some boat companies that DO NOT recommend using a transom saver. Rather they woud like you to use a product like My Wedge or just a good old piece of 2 X 4. A transom saver can actually do more harm to the motor or transom than good. When a boat goes down the road on a trailer the boat and trailer move seperately. This can put undo stress on the transom, or the motor hydraulics. So check with your boat manufacturer before deciding what to purchase.