• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Satisfied iPilot Owner

I know there have been many posts lately praising this thing but I gotta add my kudos.

First time using my new 80# Terrova w/ iPilot his weekend and...Wow.

First off, it was very easy to get used to and learn. I was pretty comfortable with it within about 15 minutes.

A lot of wind. In fact, it drove a lot of guys to the leeward side of the lake. Not where you want to be, but it gave me the whole windward shoreline to myself. I got about 10 yards off the windblown shore, targeting 4'-9' of water, followed the shoreline manually while recording my track and using the cruise control to set my speed at a constant 1.3 mph. Got to the end, pressed a button and the motor turned us around and followed the shoreline right back, along the same line, at the same speed. Genius!

We got hungry, so we popped the rods in the holders, sat down and had some food, didn't have to worry about a thing. No down time at all with this thing.

I wanted to quarter the wind and hit a promising stretch of water. Just picked out a point on the far shoreline, set the autopilot and cruise control (for speed) and the boat made a beeline to that point without me doing anything.

I used the remote and not the pedal. I found it very easy and so convenient. Could control the motor from anywhere on the boat. It's very intuitive too. You get the feel for it within minutes of using it.

What I'm so excited about is that this thing is going to make me a better fisherman. We caught fish that I know we wouldn't have without it. In that wind it would've been just too tough to navigate that shoreline manually with my old trolling motor, and using my outboard is just too high-maintenance (I have a console and no kicker).

Bottom line: This Terrova/iPilot kept me in the water I wanted to be in, the depth I needed to be in, and the speed I needed to be at. Cannot wait to go out again.

Yeah...I have used mine for the first couple times in the past week. It is indeed sweet, and it works as advertised. I, too, was using it in a fairly stout breeze today and it held its course and spot lock whenever it was asked to. I need to take a look at the book, though...is there some way to turn off the beeping? This thing beeps every time it makes a course correction or adjustment. That might get old if I can't shut it off...

The part that I like the most is the spot lock. I love that if you're trolling and catch a fish, you can hit the spot lock and not be doing circles in the middle of the lake while your landing the fish. I fish alone and used to use my tiller (because that's all I had). I also like to do alot of casting to shore, and when I find a nice spot, you can sit the boat and cast with NO WORRIES. Well worth the $$ in my opinion, I think I've even started to convince my wife that technology isn't all bad. I've caught 3x more fish already this year compared to last year just because it has allowed me to fish my casting cranks and jigs which I couldn't do before