• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great River Road

Beth and I were fortunate to have a couple of weeks to go on a road trip. Just got back a Sunday evening. We traveled the entire length of the Great River Road, starting at Lake Itasca and following the Mississippi all the way down to the Gulf (or as close as we could get). Lots of interesting stuff along the way. Here is an introduction, and I'll be posting some small photo essays over the next couple of days showing our entire trip:

We started at Lake Itasca, the source of the Mississippi:

_I4V9693.gif

And went through the following states over the next few days:

_I4V9703.gif

_I4V9709.gif

_I4V9737.gif

_I4V9800.gif

_I4V9812.gif

Things to see along the Great River on the way down.

Although we had several days to travel, you'd need a month to stop and see everything. Was difficult to pick and choose what we wanted to spend time at. So, these are a few of the highlights.

CAUTION!!! I was just a tourist photographer with many shots in these essays. A quick grab shot here and there appear, as well as some that I tried to set up. Hope you don't hold that against me! smile

Itasca State Park itself is a great place to visit:

TTT1.gif

Would have liked to have eaten at the "Big Fish" but it was closed for the season:

TTT2.gif

Really wanted to see the bluff country and southwest Wisconsin but we hit that in a snowstorm (over 9 inches before it was done) so most of what we saw looked like this:

TTT3.gif

Started out day 2 and the first thing we came across was "Holy Ghost Park" in Dickeyville, WI:

TTT4.gif

Stopped to get gas in Leclaire, IA and as I was pumping noticed this car in the alley behind the gas station. Asked the teller if it was really "American Pickers" and she said it sure was!

TTT5.gif

Lots of great overlooks of the Mississippi along the way:

TTT7.gif

Took a much needed break in Hannibal, MO and visited the Mark Twain historical part of that city:

TTT6.gif

Sorry guys, did not visit Graceland on our way through Memphis, but we did go by it:

TTT8.gif

Spent our last road night on the way down in Vicksburg, MS. Visited the Civil War battlefield there. More on that in the next post:

TTT9.gif

Siege of Vicksburg.

Vicksburg National Park and National Cemetary. Very interesting morning spent here.

V1.gif

Battlefield armaments, positions and stories all through the park:

V2.gif

The Shirley House. Oldest remaining original building associated with the battle. Union used it as a hospital during the siege.

V3.gif

Memorial from the state of Minnesota:

V7.gif

Looking into the entrance to the memorial from the state of Illinois:

V6.gif

Union soldiers attempted to take this position by charging into a solid wall of fire as they went up the hill:

V4.gif

U.S.S. Cairo - Union armoured gunboat, sunk only a few months after it was commisioned. Raised and partially restored, I believe in the '90's:

V5.gif

Vicksburg National Cemetary:

V8.gif

U.S. Grant overlooking the battlefield:

V9.gif

A word on the weather. We saw a lot of flooding, both on the way down and on the way back. We went right through Cairo, IL on the way down and the water was almost on the road leading out of that city at that time. We missed all the tornados. The closest was about 125 miles north of where we were staying. We saw some of the rural tornado damage in Mississippi and stayed in a motel in Oceola, AK that had lost phone and internet due to the storm and hadn't had it repaired yet.

W1.gif

Driving across the Mississippi in Iowa:

W2.gif

W3.gif

We call the lady that speaks to us on our GPS, Lois. She got really confused when we got to this:

W4.gif

This is where Lois sent us to get around the closed highway:

W5.gif

One of the first sightseeing tours we took was of a cane sugar plantation called "Laura". This was a "creole" plantation which meant it was owned by a French family as opposed to an "American" plantation. You usually could tell the difference right away because a creole mansion was painted with bright colors, and an American plantation was white.

L1-1.gif

Awesome gardens:

L2-1.gif

Slave housing. This building was built for slaves in the 1830's and was occupied continuously until 1974:

L3.gif

The overseers house:

L4.gif

How 'bout some gator action!

Gator1.gif

Gator2.gif

Gator3.gif

Gator4.gif

Our guide got this fella to "dance" by sticking his fingers in the water and letting the gator chase his hand out. I think his name was "Stubba"! grin

Gator5.gif

Gator6.gif

Gator7.gif

Gator8.gif

Gator9.gif

South to Venice. Our plan was to dip our toes in the headwaters of the Mississippi and then in the gulf. Unfortunately, you can only get so close to the gulf by land. Venice is at the end of the road and that is about 75 miles south of New Orleans. So, we got as close as we could. We talked to one shrimp boat captain as he was getting ready to go out and he said it would take 45 minutes to an hour from there to actually get to the gulf.

I was looking for Forrest Gump, but couldn't find his boat:

Venice1.gif

EVERYTHING is built on stilts down here!

Venice2.gif

Venice3.gif

Venice4.gif

Cemetaries are built above ground:

Venice5.gif

A look down the Mississippi from the end of the road towards the gulf:

Venice6.gif

Take this with a grain of salt. We took the Haunted History walking tour of the French Quarter. This was our guide:

Ghost2.gif

One of the places that is supposedly haunted is Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Bar. While we stopped there, I took a photo of Beth sitting at one of the tables:

Ghost1.gif

When she looked at the photo she took (at the same time), this is what showed up on her phone camera:

Ghost3.gif

I'm just sayin'

Bayou Country.

We took two swamp tours while we were down there. The first was geared more for the tourist, but we got to see a lot of nice stuff. The second was a little more serious by a guy who contracts with companies for work in the swamp. He's worked for National Geographic, IMAX, surveying companies, professional photographers, oil companies,etc. When things get slow, he takes us tourists out to see his swamp. Most of these shots are from just west of Huoma.

Swamp2.gif

Swamp3.gif

Swamp4.gif

Swamp5.gif

Swamp6.gif

Swamp7.gif

Swamp8.gif

Swamp9.gif

Swamp10.gif

Swamp1.gif

Swamp people.

The fella on the left was our guide. He lives on the edge of Bayou Black and has a "camp" in the bayou itself. Besides his airboat work, he hunts, traps and fishes in the swamp.

SM1.gif

SM4.gif

SM3.gif

SM2.gif

Well, that's about it. Hope you enjoy the photos!

That was awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing. I loved our trip through New Orleans a couple of years ago and your images brought back some great memories and gave me a few more places to visit on our next trip smile

Thanks again--