• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SS Props...

bigstick56

So I am looking into getting a SS prop for my brand new Merc. 115 Optimax. I was wondering where do I begin looking for one of these. Actually not where but what size, pitch, all that good stuff. I will be pushing a 2011 alumacraft dominator 175 sport, if that is any help. Is this a buy and test out which one works best or is there set rules on which prop would be best for this motor. I am looking at getting better top end...Thank for any info.

Call Alumacraft and get their opinion on the best prop for your boat / motor set-up.

Or work with your dealer. Some dealers are very willing to help make sure you get your boat propped right --- others, not so much ......

its all in the pitch and top end power you want, for example if you dont have to travel far a smaller pitch (17) would work best, because holeshot is awesome so you jump on plane faster. a bigger number on the end is for more top end... we have to props (17), (21t) for the big water boat. We like the 21t as it increases speed. if I remeber right it also increases the rpm and uses more fuel.

If you plan on pullin the kids every once in a while I wo go with a middle pitch 18 or 19.

to some it up the bigger the number the more foward momentum you have per revolution of prop.

Hope you understand

Call Jay Soderbloom and give him all your info and he will suggest a prop and he has the best prop prices I have found. Jay gets all my prop bussiness. He just got my SS prop done for my 115 yamaha 4 stroke, on a 17' Lund Explorer, and it gives me a extra couple mph at wot and a better hole shot. Jay really knows his stuff when it comes to props.

i thought ss was bad, aluminum better no? if u hit something the prop is so strong it wont b affected but will destroy your lower unit instead, aluminum prop will have more give and just slightly damage the prop but most likely save the lower unit

i thought ss was bad, aluminum better no? if u hit something the prop is so strong it wont b affected but will destroy your lower unit instead, aluminum prop will have more give and just slightly damage the prop but most likely save the lower unit

That depends on the prop and the way that it mounts to the motor. If it mounts directly to the output shaft, then yes, there is truth to what you say. Now however, many hubs use a break away system that prevents a hard stop to the prop from tearing up your lower unit. In this case, that Mercury Optimax will most likely be equipped with a Mercury Flo Torq hub that is a break away style.

I bought a Power Tech! four blade prop for my 150 Optimax last year from the Prop MD, at their recommendation and it is awesome! It is a 17P. I lost like 1 mph off the top end but the hole shot is awesome and it is amazing in turns when pulling tubes and stuff. I don't think I can make it cavitate.

Unfortunately propping a boat is not a one size fits all kind of deal.

If your boat is new... I'd work with the dealer, or at least see if they're willing to get you setup.

If not, you'll need to a post a little more information... Your current RPM's at Wide Open Throttle when trimmed out to the most optimum location, your current prop's Diameter and Pitch and how happy you are with your setup in general right now with the aluminum prop.

In general... higher pitch prop = more speed, worse hold shot, less RPM's

lower pitch prop = less speed, better holeshot & higher rpm's

Finding the right prop is a careful balance between speed, rpm and performance.

marine_man

If you have not, don't forget to make sure that your motor is broke in before you can

really prop your boat correctly. You will need to have it broke in to run at WOT enough

to judge performance and top RPM. You may know this already but just a heads up.

Mike

FM_Mike,

Yes I am currently in the process of breaking my motor in. I have did about 5 hours the first outing, hopeing to get another 5 or 7 under its belt here this week before I really get on the throttle. I was just wondering some other people input, I am going to have a SS prop on it eventually just wanna know some details about them. Thanks guys...

The Mercurymarine dot com HSOforum has a prop selection app.

It will probably get you close. The big thing is it will help you figure out what questions need to be answered before deciding.

As others have said, you need other information, current prop size and pitch, speed and RPM at WOT.

FYI, Pitch is measured in inches. It is a measurement of how many inches forward the prop will move for each rotation. So a 17P prop will move 17 inches forward per rotation. At 19P would move 19 inches forward. That is at 12% increase.

But, that won't transfer directly to speed. You have to factor in the drop in RPM that will occur from the increased pitch and that is where an expert is needed.

Call Jay Soderbloom and give him all your info and he will suggest a prop and he has the best prop prices I have found. Jay gets all my prop bussiness. He just got my SS prop done for my 115 yamaha 4 stroke, on a 17' Lund Explorer, and it gives me a extra couple mph at wot and a better hole shot. Jay really knows his stuff when it comes to props.

Thanks for that info. These prices are much more reasonable.

I'm trying out a used LaserII this spring. I'll definitely be seeing Jay if this one doesn't fit my needs.

Also when testing your prop have your boat set up with approximately the same type load you usually have. I.e. don't test with one person in boat if you usually fish 3 people, and have gas tank half-to full. You want real world testing.

Also, the model/style of prop makes a big difference, not just the pitch. I.e. a LaserII and Tempest are both 3 blade and can be in same pitch, but totally different animals smile

good luck, testing is fun. Not sure if Merc still has the "blue prop" program, but that was awesome when we tested our 150efi about 10 years ago. Lots of props and pitches to try to find the best, and even when they gave us what they "thought" would be best, on the water testing revealed HUGE differences in seemingly the same props and sizes.