• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Mowing yet?

fishnowworknever

After all of this rain my grass sure is looking nice and green. When I left this morning for work as I was pulling out of the driveway, I thought to myself "I really need to mow, it's getting long"

Is it better to let it get a bit longer in the spring or is it ok to start mowing like normal? Do I need to mow it a bit shorter the first few times? The reason I ask is because I over seeded last fall and someone told me I would want to mow short the next spring to allow those slow growers to get some sun as well.

Have a great weekend everyone!

We did 3 cleanups today. 2 you couldn't really tell we were there other than the leaves were gone, the last one we laid some stripes, just like we would with a weekly mow.

If it needs to be mowed, mow away.

Last thing you want right now is to get behind with spring growth.

We'll be doing spring cleanups and mowing at the same time it looks like this year.

As P.I. said though, we have some yards that are WAY too soft right now.

If you mow with a push mower, you should be fine. Smaller garden tractor, try not to leave ruts.

This is year 3 of the Long Grass Program for me.

I keep mine at about 4 to 5 inches tall, had to modify the mower to get it to mow that high.

This will be year 2 of no weed control at all in the front yard and hopefully year one in the backyard.

Long Grass means deep roots, cool soil, and green grass even during hot and dry periods.

I mowed Friday night. It was about twice as long as I normally keep it. I had thought about mowing a couple of weeks ago, before the last snowstorm, but put it off. Had to tell this morning that I cut it with a layer of snow on the ground...ugh.

This is year 3 of the Long Grass Program for me.

I keep mine at about 4 to 5 inches tall, had to modify the mower to get it to mow that high.

This will be year 2 of no weed control at all in the front yard and hopefully year one in the backyard.

Long Grass means deep roots, cool soil, and green grass even during hot and dry periods.

You keep the grass that high all year?

I may have to try that

tackle -

Depending on what variety your grass is, you may not be able to keep it that length.

There are "no mow" fescues and other varieties that are supposed to grow out to 4-5-6" tall, but then somewhat just lay over.

Last year the city of Minneapolis cited a homeowner for this type of grass, saying it wasn't maintained. When the homeowner didn't mow the property, the city did, but then found out it was "supposed" to look that way.

IMO, if you live in a subdivision that isn't full of wildflower loving people, you should have a traditional yard. If you live in the sticks with a row of brush or a fence between neighbors, do whatever you please.

As for the topic, we were hoping to go mow a decent sized school today after church and a meal, but I'm looking outside at rain/sleet/snow falling, again.

Hopefully by 1-2ish it'll be dry enough to mow. These schools aren't all needing to be mowed, but Deitz's grass is getting pretty long. I'm sure he wants fast times for the 3rd graders to do their Prez Fitness testing.

This cold spring weather just isn't giving up!

I almost broke out the mower today, I did the annual tune up last night and was all pumped for today. However, the wife thought it was a good day to do something else, work on the basement.

I'm mowing Tuesday, I'll probably throw down some crabgrass preventer along the road/driveway area while I'm at it.

You keep the grass that high all year?

I may have to try that

It gets taken down to about 2" in the fall.

It tends to layover when it gets 5" or more tall.

The wife hates it, says it looks messy.

I say tall, thick, deep green grass is gorgeous.

Both Neighbors keep theirs short and very well manicured, I laugh when they complain about their water bills.

Plus I spend less time mowing and more time fishing...........