• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fletching Jig and Glue Suggestions

FL SNIPER

I want to start refletching my own arrows. I am tired of getting my arrows refletched at the local big box store for $3/arrow and then have the vanes fall off shortly after and then having to super glue them back on myself. (I'm thinking the glue they use is bad because once i glue them back on they stay put.) I do shoot with a whisker biscuit but I don't nearly have the same problems with new arrows as the ones I get refletched (brings me back to bad glue being used). I shoot beman hunter 400s and blazer vanes right to the shaft. I'd like to continue this setup. Can someone suggest a good jig to use and some good, durable glue, and why you like them? How many arrows can you refletch at one time...is it just one per jig? Any other tips would be welcomed but I won't switch arrows, vanes, or whisker biscuit. Thanks for your opinions!

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. The solution for me was a Bitzenburger and Fast Set Glue (white tube with orangish red and black label- Scheels carries it). If I start with arrows that are ready to be refletched, I can do a dozen arrows in about 15 minutes (once everything is all laid out and ready to do the refletching). I put each vane on, let it sit for about three seconds before removing, turn, and do the next one.

I used to hate refletching, now I enjoy it.

I know you said you didn't want to do this, but I swapped from putting vanes directly on the shaft to putting them on a 3" wrap. I like this set up a lot and it makes preparing the arrow for a new set of fletchings a lot easier than scraping off the remainder of old vanes. Now, instead of scraping, I simply peel off the wrap (which isn't super easy, but much easier than cleaning the shaft off by scraping). I don't shoot a whiskerbisket though, so a wrap may cause problems with that (not sure...)

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be like me and get a set up that works for you and you'll enjoy refletching.

In my family we have always fletched our own arrows.

For the past 10 or so years I have used a Vador Uni-Fletching Jig with Arizona 4" vanes on my Easton XX75 aluminum arrows. I have also done 5" feathers with this jig, no problems. My dad uses those small 3" vanes on carbon shafts with the same jig.

Most of the "fletching glue" sold these days is junk. The vanes come right off when they are in freezing temps. I've tried cleaning the shafts with acetone and alcohol, it doesn't help. You need to use super glue. My dad uses the super small squeeze tubes because once you open super glue it tends to try out soon. I didn't like that glue though because it left lots of the white residue on the shaft when drying. This past year I switched to Gorilla Super Glue. The 15g bottle has lasted quite a while for me with no vanes coming off, also hasn't dried up on me.

I use a regular razor knife when scraping off old vanes from the shafts. I think for scraping carbon shafts you just need to be extra careful to not damage them.

I use bohning platnum fletching glue and have never had a problem with any comeing loose. I don't use any of the stuff that cures the glue faster the more time in the jig with down pressure on the fletch the better till it drys. Some companies will have bad batches of vanes and they just wont bond right with the wrap or bare shaft.